1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

video card comparison questsions ....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TypeSK, Apr 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

been reading a little about video cards...

read a review about the ATI AIW 8500DV .... my original plan was to get a GeForce4 TI 4600 .... but read a review at hytekcomputers about the ATI being a better one?

also saying that the ATI Radeons or the AIW are more for multimedia and not necessarily for games, while the nVIDIA are more for gaming and not for multimedia?

can anyone help on this? and any background info on the nVIDIA and other forms of the architecture?

2. skip113

skip113

What you have been told about the cards to some extent is right, but unless you are going to be a serious gamer then you won't notice the difference.
    From my experience if you are running win XP you are better off with the ATI cards.

3. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

well, as for now, i use win95.

but for my future computer that i be getting the video card for, will have win98SE, win2kpro, winxp (pro or home, havent decided) ....

i will be playing some games, but i dont think ill be necessarily using my comp as any multimedia station.....ill prob be playing DVD's on my TV/DVD player instead of the computer .... only thing is maybe for my MP3s which ill use a soundcard and some good speakers, and thats about it. im getting a big one so that the video card (along with getting the latest computer i can build) so that the computer will last alot longer. alot better than buying store bought computer. (as its about same price for the latest of everything when you build rather than average system for sale at the stores)

4. skip113

skip113

Then I would go with the ATI card, but that's just a personal opinion.

5. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

TypeSK:

A little added input along with skip113; Past experience on hundreds of builds vouch for ATI. Better video quality, better stability, overall less problems. Somewhat ignore all the HYPE over ATI drivers. Unless all you want to do is video benchmark(3DMark2001SE,etc.), the few updated drivers available from ATI work fine. Omegadrive(Rage3d.com) has fine drivers available also. As for the G4 cards, I would hold off for awhile. Right now a G3TI200 or G3TI500 are cheap and more than any regular realworld computer user needs. The same goes for the 8500. If you might be using a DVD player in your computer, I would probably stay with the 8500. As for Operating System, I would go with Win2000PRO/MSOFFICE2000PRO/IE6. Support for Win9xx is being discontinued and MS' support plan is for W2000 and WXP. Too many problems and bugs in WXP at this time. And yes, I have and do run both NVIDIA and ATI, but personally like the stability of ATI and W2000PRO.

6. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

whats the point of benchmarking? i dont really keep up with the video part of computers much ...

i wont be using a DVD player at all .... i personally dont see a point to them when its better watching on a TV screen....

win98 be discontinued in MS support already? yeesh, and it seemed like it was only a little bit ago that win95 was discontinued...what are the major bugs in winxp?

your able to use 2 different video cards? ehh? can you explain how? (i know some about computers, but aint an expert either, which is why im here of course)

but as i said, main reason is that i would like the card to last long so i dont have to update it in a short time after its released .... for me, it seems cheaper to do it that way....for ex:

over 10 years
    buy $300 expensive card, probably last 2 years before its outdated, so in 10 years, spend $1500 ($300x5)
    buy when it gets cheaper, $200, but in a year gets outdated, so have to get one every year, spend $2000 ($200x10)

im not sure the logic works, i may be wrong ....

but also, i would like to play some games, and the games i play recommend at least a nVIDIA TNT, GeForce2 and above, 3dfx Voodoo and above or Matrox G200 and above...

but im not an expert on video cards and its pro's and con's ....

so the ATI would work ok? or the GeForce4? also read a review that the TI 4400 is almost as good as the TI4600 as it overclocks way better and because of that, is almost the same speed..and they both share same features, but just the 4600 is rated at a better speed ?

7. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

whats the point of benchmarking? i dont really keep up with the video part of computers much ...

so the ATI would work ok? or the GeForce4? also read a review that the TI 4400 is almost as good as the TI4600 as it overclocks way better and because of that, is almost the same speed..and they both share same features, but just the 4600 is rated at a better speed ?

In your case since benchmaking isn't of great interest, there isn't much sense in worrying about the overclocking ability of your video card. Besides, all overclocking(CPU, Video Card, Memory, etc.) actually will shorten the overall life of the components oc'd. At the rate it is going right now, the GeForce3 and ATI8500 cards have features that can't even be used or implemented yet. And, until software manufacturers start improving their products to utilize the present video card features, there isn't any reason to go running out and always get the latest and greatest(unless you have much more money than me) since it changes every few months. If you think back 18 months ago, a 1000Mhz CPU system(for most people) was pretty high-rollin' since people were still running PentiumII350Mhz-400Mhz systems. W9xx support is supposed to be ending starting late summer. That's the last I knew from MS. I guess we'll wait and see..... To clear up any confusion I caused, I have more than one computer(I wouldn't even want to think about running 2 video cards in 1 pc-- 1 is bad enough!) I still would go with the ATI8500 regardless whether you plan to use a DVD or not. Another thing. Video is important but, a complete system with quality components will yield a stable and fast machine when configured properly. Only the wallet dictates the parameters.

8. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

well, thanks for your help .... if the ATI is more stable, then ill be getting that...this will be my last comp i spend money on for quite awhile, so thats why im going big...i figure i have a $2000 budget .... and with all the stuff i wanna get, it would costs $3000 and even higher at the only computer manufacturer that id buy from, and thats dell .... i mean, $2000 on a home built computer is more than enough and can get me the latest of everything right? at least thats how i priced it (without monitor, it was $1100)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/74996

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice