1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card Comparison

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alwrmc, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question but here goes:
    Between the Radeon 7770 and the Radeon 6870, which is the more powerful for gaming?
    What specifications of the cards should one look at in order to make that determination?
    The 7770 is a single slot and requires no external power connection
    The 6870 is a double slot and requires two 6 pin power connections

2. SpoonLicker

SpoonLicker Banned

The 7770 is better.

3. Abriam26

Abriam26

7770 indeed

4. ajkane

ajkane

the 7770 is more future proof, but the 6870 is the best price/performance of ANY video card right now!

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  6. ajkane

ajkane

7. Abriam26

Abriam26

Isn't it true that the 7770 will get better drivers (because it's still supported)? So it will be better than the 6870 in the end?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    AMD may be able to squeeze out a bit more performance out of the Radeon HD 7xxx series but it'll never be more than the pure hardware advantage the 6870 holds over the 7770, in fact the older 5870 can outperform the 6870 in some cases. Also, the Radeon HD 6xxx is still fully supported by AMD. Both series of cards can expect gains with new drivers for new games for the near future.

If you look at the pure numbers, the 6870 hardware is in some cases double that of the 7770, the 7770 has the advantage of being newer and consuming much less power but that's about.

9. ajkane

ajkane

What is your budget? There might be a better choice then those 2 cards.

10. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    I have both cards. I bought the 6870 about a year perhaps two years ago. It is a double slot big card and requires two 6 pin power plugs.
    The 7770 came with my new HP h9-1350 desktop. The 7770 is a single slot, does not require a power plug and just looks like a, for lack of a better description, "wussie" kind of device. It just does not look like it would be that good at some of the games that I run/play. The games I have are FarCry 3, The Witcher 2, Crysis 2, Fallout 3. The 6870 runs all of those pretty much maxed out on my old system (AMD Phenom 6 core), I'm just in the process of setting up the new machine so I have not tested the 7770. I currently have the 6870 installed. BTW the Windows 8 use of UEFI/BIOS has made installing the 6870 a three day affair while I tried to figure out why it was constantly rejected. More info if anyone is interested!
    So the bottom line is that perhaps if I put the 7770 back into the new machine it will perform as well or better than the 6870? I of course also use the latest drivers from AMD. As it stands I plan to retain the 6870 in the machine unless I find a specific reason to revert.

11. Simba7

Simba7

Ya, it's not an easy task. Of course, I'm not exactly a fan of Windows 8 anyway. Also, make sure you have a recent BIOS since some systems get rather.. grumpy.. if you try to install a third-party card.

Preferences, I run nVidia GeForce cards. But, from the benchmarks, the 68xx series kinda whoop the 77xx series in terms of number crunching and horsepower.

EDIT: Fixed the comparison.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well a 7850 is faster than the 6870, as are the other 78xx and 79xx series cards so not all 7xxx series get 'whoop'ed by the 6xxx series cards, you just need to compare the proper cards.

UEFI isn't unique to Windows 8, it was introduced and used before Windows 8 was introduced, I believe in 2007.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088321

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice