Video Card compatibility?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ghostfire231

I'm thinking about buying a new video card so I can play my games without the lag and low quality. Can my computer even install a new video card? How would I go about doing this? My card now is a Nvidia GeForce 615OSE nForce 430.

Thanks in advance for any help.

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DEE-DEE-PC
System Manufacturer eMachines
System Model ET1161-07
System Type X86-based PC
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) Dual Core Processor 4050e, 2100 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 10/29/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 2.87 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.84 GB
Total Virtual Memory 5.97 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.67 GB
Page File Space 3.17 GB

I have googled the computer and found this photo of the inside (see attachment)

If you open yours up and it looks the same sort of layout and has the same Red slot that is bellow the cooler fan then you have space for a graphics card. The problem with installing a new graphics card is that you also need to upgrade the PSU to make sure it can power all of the components properly.

Jack-O-Bytes

Attachments

ghostfire231

Thanks guys, so does this mean Im able to buy myself a graphics card for christmas? And if so, how would I go about installing it?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
A 250 watt power supply isn't going to be able to handle the demands of a video card and gaming.

If you browse through the list of video cards, you'll discover that a 400 watt or higher power supply is recommended for most of them.

-------------------------------------------------------

The recommended power requirements for a 550ti card is a minimum 400W or greater system power supply with one 6-pin external power connector. In reality you should use a good quality 500 watt power supply or greater so as to not "stress" the power supply. A backup battery (UPS) is not used as a power supply.

Also, with high powered graphics card you have to consider the cooling attributes of your chassis. If you don't have a chassis with good thermal design you are going to have a problem with the card overheating.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts