1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card compatibility?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ghostfire231, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ghostfire231

ghostfire231 Thread Starter

I'm thinking about buying a new video card so I can play my games without the lag and low quality. Can my computer even install a new video card? How would I go about doing this? My card now is a Nvidia GeForce 615OSE nForce 430.

Thanks in advance for any help.

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
    Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name DEE-DEE-PC
    System Manufacturer eMachines
    System Model ET1161-07
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) Dual Core Processor 4050e, 2100 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 10/29/2008
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 2.87 GB
    Available Physical Memory 1.84 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 5.97 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 4.67 GB
    Page File Space 3.17 GB

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

I have googled the computer and found this photo of the inside (see attachment)

If you open yours up and it looks the same sort of layout and has the same Red slot that is bellow the cooler fan then you have space for a graphics card. The problem with installing a new graphics card is that you also need to upgrade the PSU to make sure it can power all of the components properly.

Jack-O-Bytes

Attached Files:

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  4. ghostfire231

Thanks guys, so does this mean Im able to buy myself a graphics card for christmas? And if so, how would I go about installing it?

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    A 250 watt power supply isn't going to be able to handle the demands of a video card and gaming.

If you browse through the list of video cards, you'll discover that a 400 watt or higher power supply is recommended for most of them.

-------------------------------------------------------

6. ghostfire231

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

The recommended power requirements for a 550ti card is a minimum 400W or greater system power supply with one 6-pin external power connector. In reality you should use a good quality 500 watt power supply or greater so as to not "stress" the power supply. A backup battery (UPS) is not used as a power supply.

Also, with high powered graphics card you have to consider the cooling attributes of your chassis. If you don't have a chassis with good thermal design you are going to have a problem with the card overheating.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026453

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice