1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

video card diagnostics??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by croix, Feb 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. croix

croix Thread Starter

Can any one tell me if there is a tool that I can use to run diagnostics on my video card?

I have been having issues with BSOD's and some program crashes, and I used memtest86, and I had no errors. I also ran a few disk checking programs, and no problems there either. The only other thing I have on the system is a CDRW drive, and I havent had any issues with burning or any burning program crashes.

So Im thinking that my issue is going to be my video card, but I dont have another one laying around to test with. Is there a tool that can test my video card, along the lines of what memtest86 does for RAM?

Thanks,
    Colin

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

go to Start/Run and type in DXDIAG and hit Enter. You'll find some torture tests for your video there. There are other applications you can download but start with that.

3. croix

croix Thread Starter

is there something in there that I am missing?

I only saw the "Test Direct Draw" and "Test Direct 3D" test, which both worked fine for me. Unless i was supposed to be looking for quality in those spinning graphics (it wasnt very good) - but all it asked was if I could see the image after each test, which I could.

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

croix...

Can you post the exact BSOD error message ?

Sometimes in the BSOD it will give you a Stop error, and a Stop Code, with the file that is causing the BSOD...

With this info we might be able to track it down...

BSOD's could be anything, so with out the exact errors, we're pretty much guessing here ;)...

5. croix

croix Thread Starter

well, i have it on auto restart, but i can copy whats in the Event Viewer... I'll post it up tomorrow when I get to work.

i did google the error code, but all i found was microsofts page telling me that there is no user action required (haha)

6. griffinspc

griffinspc

I was responding to your question,
    As I said, this was just a preliminary test to see if the card could handle these basic tests. You can go further with other downloadable apps but the real question is the BSOD error and what's the root cause.

7. croix

croix Thread Starter

K here it is

Source - system Error Category 102, Event ID 1003
    Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 8054058a, parameter3 f3bdeb50, parameter4 00000000.

I also get application errors with dreamweaver and flash, but I have MX 2004, and from what Ive found online, they tend to do this, so Im hoping they are not related. I dont think they are, because it only crashes the program and doesnt do anything to system stability

8. croix

croix Thread Starter

btw-
    I ran memtest86 overnight - it ran for 16 hours, 8 passes, 0 errors.
    dxdiag passed all tests
    prime95 fails almost immediatly, but i cant find out what to do about it, or what its failing on. This is the result of the torture test.

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2800+
    CPU speed: 2082.29 MHz
    CPU features: RDTSC, CMOV, PREFETCH, MMX, SSE
    L1 cache size: 64 KB
    L2 cache size: 512 KB
    L1 cache line size: 64 bytes
    L2 cache line size: 64 bytes
    L1 TLBS: 32
    L2 TLBS: 256
    Prime95 version 23.8, RdtscTiming=1
    Best time for 384K FFT length: 33.011 ms.
    Best time for 448K FFT length: 38.393 ms.
    Best time for 512K FFT length: 41.072 ms.
    [Thu Feb 24 10:22:16 2005]
    FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4999993301, expected less than 0.4
    Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

stress.txt tells me that its quite hard to find out which piece of hardware is causing the problem. very helpful.

I also got Sandra2005, but the free version doesnt run any of the diagnostics. the only test i got anything out of was the benchmark for the HD, which told me I need to defragment, which im doing now. the computer is only about 60 days old.

9. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Can you take it out of auto restart, that way the next time it happens you will get a blue screen, with the stop code and error message, also it may give the faulty file or driver...

And post those, the ones you poster could be anything from a faulty modem to vidcard...

10. croix

croix Thread Starter

heres the bsod that i got while running test 1 in Prime95

Stop: 0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0XBF801ADB, 0XF41D7550, 0X00000000)
    WINK32K.SYS - ADDRESS BF801ADB BASE AT BF800000, DATESTAMP 41127907

11. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Are you getting the stop error as well ?

Such as "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" or some other such error...

12. croix

croix Thread Starter

no theres no stop error
    just says a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down. if this is the first time, blah blah blah

and then the stop code at the bottom - what i typed above.

k I took out one of my 512 ram chips, and i still failed out during tests. switched to the other one, and same thing. took out my processor, put in another one that i had laying around, and it turned on, but i could get no video. so i put the old processor back in, and now i cant get into windows unless its in safe mode. i get the same bsod as above everytime now.

****, someone help, now i cant work at all.

13. croix

croix Thread Starter

ok, i was running prime95 in safe mode and i got a bsod, this time with page fault in non paged area

thats a ram issue correct? so what are the chances of both of my sticks of ram being bad? becuase i fail out even when only one of the sticks is in. they are both new, i got them both from Crucial.com.

14. croix

croix Thread Starter

OK, i said screw it and tried to use system restore to go back a few weeks to get this right ( it ran fine since Dec 12th, the day i built it. Only this week has it been messing up)

well, system restore will not finish, i get a BSOD before it can restore properly. Tried it several times

Heres what I get.

Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR EQUAL
    Stop: 0x000000D1, (0x404E3945, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x404E3945)

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Post exact specs for your system ie make and model of mb, make, model, and wattage of ps, etc. This will help in finding the problem. Since you got errors in safe mode, it points at a hardware problem.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/334070

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice