1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video card driver issue... I *think*?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fixabit, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fixabit

fixabit Thread Starter

So for the last little while, whenever I play WoW I am getting random shutdowns - sometimes with a BSOD stating "system service exception", sometimes not. I monitored the temperature and it isn't changing between when I'm playing and when I'm not. I've tried shutting down *everything* else when I play, that doesn't change anything. I tried cleaning off a lot of old programs and updating the video card driver and it got *worse*, to the point where I've had to use the repair feature twice tonight, the first time it did a system restore (but didn't tell me to *when*), the second time it didn't - this is getting frustrating! One note, I went to AMD's website for my card (http://www.amd.com/us/products/desk...d-4800/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-4800-overview.aspx) and clicked on "Support and Drivers". Under product type I chose "graphics card - desktop" - but I can't find the 4800 series in the list. At that point I looked at the next link in my google search for a driver (http://driverscollection.com/?H=Radeon HD 4800&By=ATI), checked to see what other people said of the website and couldn't find anything negative, so tried that. That's when things got worse. Everything else works fine, and I haven't had an issue with any other games I've played. Here's the system info:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 6142 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series , 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 300373 MB, Free - 101320 MB; D: Total - 300110 MB, Free - 105801 MB; F: Total - 953867 MB, Free - 91516 MB;
    Motherboard: ACER, G33T-AM, 1.0, V35110F80901316
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials

I don't know if it matters, but WoW is installed on D, an external hard drive.

Edit: Oh, and I did, just in case, run a full virus scan, Search & Destroy, and Antimalware scan. Nothing weird came up beyond the usual tracking cookies and such.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The drivers/support for the AMD Radeon HD 4800 is under the "Radeon HD" section. Try uninstalling the drivers from Programs and features in the Control Panel and install the latest drivers from the AMD website.

Please post what power supply you have in your computer, Acer's generally one with low wattage/quality power supplies. The power supply model/wattage will be listed on a sticker on the side of the power supply once you get the side of the PC off.

Also post the model of the complete system, such as Acer Aspire T710-3412.

Post the temps and voltages at idle and at load(such as when playigng WoW, post a screenshot from HW Monitor: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Also ensure WoW is fully up-to-date.

The problem may also be due to you running a game off an external drive. USB is not perfectly stable and massively slower then an internal SATA drive. You ideally should reinstall the game to the internal hard drive.

3. fixabit

fixabit Thread Starter

I'm at work right now so I'm a bit limited as to what I can try, but I'll definitely work on all that when I get home - thanks for the suggestions.

In the meantime, re: the driver - and I'm sorry if I'm being completely oblivious, I'm unfortunately really, *really* limited in my knowledge of hardware and the software that makes it do what it does - but below is a screenshot of the list of HD Series options I see (with Visa 64 bit selected as my OS) - about half are at the top of the list, and for some reason, the other half are all the way at the bottom. At any rate, I see a bunch of 48xx, like 4870 and 4850... am I incorrect in thinking I should be looking *specifically* for "HD 4800 Series"? Or should I be choosing one of the 48xx ones? And if so, how on earth do I know which I should choose? I've looked everywhere I can think of on my system and all I ever see is "4800 series".

[​IMG]

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024777

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice