1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card Driver Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Windir, Jun 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Windir

Windir Thread Starter

I think installing the latest drivers for my new video card have caused a problem. When I was using some slightly older drivers (those that came with the BF2 demo), movies on my comp would play fine. Then I installed the new Nvidia driver (77.72) for my eVGA 256-A8-N344-AX Geforce 6800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card and now the colors are faded and pale. Though this is only for movies, my games play and look fine.

I would like to fix this. The first and obvious solution would be to use the drivers I was using before this. But, seeing as they were beta drivers that only came with the BF2 demo and there are problems with having the demo and full game on your comp and trying to get rid of just one, I'd rather not go back to those drivers. I've also always been under the impression that the latest drivers should always be used for all your hardware. So, how can I fix this and can it be done while keeping the 77.72 nvidia driver?

2. Windir

Windir Thread Starter

I also got the latest divx codec thinking that may help but it hasn't. Perhaps I'm just missing something else I need to update?

3. Windir

Windir Thread Starter

Ok...two things. 1)Is this in the wrong forum? I thought this was the one to go to for driver support.

2) Another odd thing, when I was switching through a bunch of mpegs, suddenly one of the videos looked just fine. Then I went to the next one which was messed up, then back to the one that was just fine, and it too was messed up again. I'm so confused.

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

No, I guess you are in the right place. The 77.72 driver set is not a good set of drivers unless you are running a 7800GTX. Go to http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=10 and download and install the 77.50 whql set of drivers and you will be set if you carefully uninstall and then install the 77.50 set.

The 77.72 set caused major havoc here also, I am also running a 6800GT.
    Christ I wish Nvidia would get the driver situation straight. Myself I am waiting for the ATI 520 aka FUDO. It is going to crush Nividia like a pup. Mark my words. :D

5. Windir

Windir Thread Starter

Thanks, but how do I "carefully uninstall" it?

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Simple. Add remove prgrams and a reboot. You won't need a driver cleaner for the procedure so I won't recommend one.

7. Windir

Windir Thread Starter

That worked, thanks. Just one more stupid question though...which drivers came out first, 77.50 or 77.30?

I only ask because I would assume the higher number came out later but I saw on another forum, a guy saying people should rollback from the 77.72 to 77.89.

8. pr0t3st

pr0t3st

Usually the higher number, the later... Best way to find out would be to look at the driver files "date/timestamp".

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Higher number equals newer driver. He may have meant 71.89 or many hardcore enhusiasts use beta driver.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/375038

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice