1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card drivers causing my computer to hang at welcome screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Surreptitious1, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Surreptitious1

Surreptitious1 Thread Starter

I have narrowed down the problem. It is my Video card or drivers causing my machine to lock at the welcome screen. Anyone know a work around for this since I only have one other Video card and it is the same Manufacture and uses the same drivers.
    Windows XP Home ed (fully updated and patched from Microsoft updates site)
    Tech Info: ATI 9000 Series Video Card.
    AMD Athlon "Slot" A 850 mhz Processor
    Further Tech Info upon Request.

2. Figa

Figa

Does that machine have an onboard video card too?

3. Surreptitious1

No the macine only has the Add-on Video Card - No onboard Video

4. Figa

Figa

Did you get the updates, for your graphic card, from the ATI (AMD) site as well?

5. Surreptitious1

It is actaully hanging at the Windows XP screen where the blue bar goes across. The Blu bar stops and computer freezes at that point. This is Before the "Welcome Screen"

6. Surreptitious1

I have tryed the newest updated Video drivers from the Manufactures website, as well as some older posted drivers.

7. Figa

Figa

To install these, how did you get into windows or did you do this in dos?

8. Surreptitious1

I can uninstall the video drivers and my sytem boots just finem but of course without the proper video drivers for the video card (other than the standard VGA ones windows installs) applications wont work or view properly

9. Figa

Figa

I would say, try your graphics card in another PC and see if it runs there, i think something fancy on it is broken, cause the standard card is working, but when you install it as a 3D graphic beast it shuts. Well hope to hear from you later, but for now im out.

10. Surreptitious1

Went into safe mode uninstalled the video drivers and then booted into windows just fine. Downloaded and installed new video drivers from the ATI/AMD website. tryed this with multiple drivers from this website, but havent yet found a driver that works.

11. Surreptitious1

This video card and drivers work perfect in my other machines. (I tested and tryed on 2 other machines)

12. Surreptitious1

The other Video Card I have is a Radeon 7000 series, and when i install this card in the same machine with the ATI drivers I get the same Booting problems.

13. Surreptitious1

I was able to resolve the issue, and thought I'd post the solution for those that may have a need to use it for a simular problem on their computer. The problem was stated in my earlier posts. The solution was I needed to install the latest Bios Patch for for my Motherboard, and update the Via Chipset drivers for the Via Southport Bridge. This included updating the AGP miniport driver. The old motherboard I was using with a much newer video card could not accept the video card and its drivers until these things were updated. My configuration nightmare was due to trying to combine a FIC SD11 Mainboard with a 850mhz Athlon "Slot" A Processor with a ATI Radeon 9000 series Video card. The files I used to make this work I retrieved from www.viaarena.com (the older ones {4-1 package} not the latest release) named: VIA_4in1_443v.zip, and The 2 files I got from the AMD website http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/ were: AMDdrvpk_130.exe, miniport_533.EXE. I also had to enable the ACPI (APM) features in the BIOS. ONE WARNING to those of you intending to use these files in an attempt to solve a simular problem. One of these files may want to delete the /windows/inf directory files on your computer, and put in a short list of files of its on. This causes other devices and software that normally windows could install - to not install of course! I had a second computer on my network running the same version of Windows, Thank God!, and was able to copy back all the /windows/inf directory files to my machine. SO for those not so fortunate to have that second machine on a network... Backup your /windows/inf Directory first.

Hope this helps someone else too. :) And Figa thank you for all your Posts in reply to my Problem.

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I removed your duplicate "solved" post, please just mark the thread solved.

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597390

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice