1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video card dying?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tsunam, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tsunam

tsunam Thread Starter

Starting with the card, its a geforce 4 ti 4200. I've had it for ohh i'd say close to 3 years now (think it was around 100 bucks at the that time when i got it, so could have been 2 years).

In any case, whenever i try to start a game. It'll lag (with sound lagging as well) and be jumpy. When i try to skip the intro or to alt tab/cntr alt delete out of it it'll freeze and have a funky line's appear on the screen before the monitor shuts off.

I've also had this problem recently on the ocassional video i play, it has with this fixed itself once and done the black screen once.

As well, while i was surfingand switched between two different windows it came up with the lines on screen and shut down the moniter again.

The computer continues to operate though after this happens.

Running:
    AMD 2600+ 333 fsb
    Geforce4 ti 4200 (45.23 drivers)
    Windows xp pro (latest service pack)
    mad dog 5.1 sound card
    Directx 9.0b
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard (rev1005 bios)

if theres anything else that might be of help to possibly diagnose if its actually my video card dying or otherwise please let me know.

2. sampson2269

sampson2269

Have you tried completly uninstalling the card and reinstalling it. Also have you gone to nvidia to make shure you have all the latest drivers i have the same card and have it all updated and i havn't expiranced any problems yet with it.

Kyle

3. RSM123

RSM123

Is there any possibility you could swap the card out and try it in another machine ?

4. compilerxp

compilerxp

1 - The GeForce Ti4200 is not even 2 years old, it was "introduced" in April 2002, but didn't ship till around May/June for the masses. It was typically a $200 card at first (Ti4400 = $300, Ti4600 = $400).

Only in the past 4 months has the card price hit $100 and recently is under $80, but typically it still a $100~120 video card.

2 - I'd pull out the MadDog Sound card and use the Onboard NForce Audio - its one of the top sound chips on the market.
    Be sure to remove drivers for the sound card as well... Video cards rarely cause sounds to studder - but a system lock up can cause the sound to studder.

3 - If you have a spare HD handy, I'd do a clean install of Windows onto it and see if the problem continues. (without the MadDog sound card). Like tonight, I've had a hell of a time trying to install WindowsXP onto a 120GB drive that was in a RAID, even used Partition magic to wipe it. But WindowsXP is quite dead on the drive before it could install. I threw in my OLD OLD 3GB WD drive into the system and WindowXP installs and runs fine. :(

5. tsunam

tsunam Thread Starter

Okie tried taking out the sound card (the a97 is actually quite good, i'm surprised)
    Sound doesnt have a problem anymore, however video still freezes and shuts off, 45.23 drivers are latest. Have uninstalled all video card drivers and reinstalled multiple times.

I actually just reformatted my computer because i thought it could have been something on my drive (it was quite full anyways so was good to clean it out)

Tried in in Midnight club 2, nwn, and hitman 2 to see if it happened to all of them and it did. so its not just a general game issue i doubt.

6. compilerxp

compilerxp

Try using an older driver set... the LATEST drivers doesnt mean it'll work for you.

I'm still using 30.82 because A- They seem to work very well, B- lots of reports with problems 41 and above. Of couse they all have ISSUES anyways.

You can find the older drivers from Nvidia's website. I think it says archives. Download many in the 3x.00 series...

You should also google for "Detonator Destoryer" to complete remove the drivers... and don't install the Nvidia Desktop junk either.

When installing a new system load (I doubt you need to)

1 - Format drive (or erase Windows DIR)
    2 - intall OS
    3 - install latest hardware drivers
    4 - install update Windows drivers & DX9
    5 - install software.

7. tsunam

tsunam Thread Starter

belh, older drivers didnt work either, just would start and then eventially freeze the computer (which hadnt been happening before). After the lag, sound dying etc.

This is all but a fresh install of xp pro right now so i dont think i need to do it again :p.

/me is slightly annoyed that i cant figure out what it is,
    not that i really have time to play any games lately but having the ability would be nice.

8. compilerxp

compilerxp

I would really consider trying another video card... on a clean install, you various drivers - you should have a stable gaming platform. I have almost the same setup as you do...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164669

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice