1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

video card fan broken?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RaulConQ, Nov 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RaulConQ

RaulConQ Thread Starter

recently my comp started having problems -- crashing constantly, or at least that's what i thought at first. sometimes the monitor would shut off and come back on with a frozen and junked up screen, sometimes it would black out and come back on garbled (kinda like TV static). unplugged the monitor and plugged it into my roommate's computer -- monitor is fine, and my computer did the same thing with his monitor plugged into my comp. i opened up my box, did a little housekeeping: reseated the ram (one 128 mb stick) and slid out the vid card to clean the connection. it looks to me like the fan on the vid card could be loose -- so the questions are (1) could this be the cause of my problem? and (2) is there anyway to fix it w/o picking up a new video card (er, like pop the fan back into place or something)? below are my specs, just in case.

P3 500 MHz
    128 MB RAM
    Diamond Monster Fusion AGP
    Windows 2000

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

Video card fans can usually be replaced just like CPU fans.

When the machine is running, does the video card fan spin up or does it just sit there? If your video card is overheating it can cause the symptoms you describe.

Whether you can just "pop it back on" or not depends on how its attached to the card in the first place.

3. madox

madox

If the fan does not spin at all.......
    Remove the fan (usually bolt down with 4 srews), flip it around and you should find a sticker on the back side of the fan. Peel back that sticker to reveal a hole in the center of the fan, exposing the fan bearings. Give it one drop of WD-40 and it will work like new again. :D
    If the fan spin but is loose, then it's time to get a new fan.
    But I have to say, a Monster Fusion is an old card, and it should not have an overheating problem even without a fan running.
    Only on really high end video cards are the fans absolutely necessary to prevent overheating and black outs.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/103450

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice