1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video card fan stopping on window load

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by azfisher, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. azfisher

azfisher Thread Starter

The video card fan is stopping every time Windows loads the video card.

I have Windows XP and a BFG FX5200 Ultra video card and the fan will run until windows loads the card on boot up. I have tried removing the card in the hardware section of XP and run it in VGA mode and the fan stays on then as PnP finds the card and the balloon at the right hand bottom of the screen pops up telling me it loaded the video card the fan stops.

I have un-installed and re-installed the newest nvidea drivers, changed out to a 430 Watt power supply, formated & reloaded XP because I thought it might be a Windows issue and the thing still stops.

What else should I try?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    On a wild note, it might be part of the video card driver and the fan is turned off when its not needed and turned on when it is.

Or the card is faulty.

3. winbob

winbob

AZ,

You 'could' wire the fan directly into the PS so that it ran ALL the time.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I am with Triple6 on this one.

Sounds like a smart fan driver in the system, that will only power the fan when the temperature gets up. Excellent feature if that is the case, those fans can be noisy.

5. azfisher

azfisher Thread Starter

I can not find anything in the drivers that I can adjust, uncheck or anything about the fan. I am thinking it is a card failure. The card overheated and the system locked up last night. I think I will try wiring it directly to the PS and see if the card still works.

Thanks

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If its a new card then contact support about it or return it for another card/brand.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271342

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice