Video card for Battlefield 2

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Lyte

Howdy!

I need to get a new video card in order to play Battlefield 2. The one suggested to me is by GForce but it's like $300... which is more than I want to spend on a video card! My question is ... what's the least expensive vcard (that's not total junk :) ) in order be able to play BF2.

Thanks!

Lyte!

AGP or PCI-e? Big difference there. What kind of slot for your motherboard do you have?

If it's an AGP card, I have an ATI Radeon 9800XT that works pretty good with BF2. It crapped out once, but I had the card replaced with an identical one for free. I think you can definitely find that card for around $150 US I think.

Lyte

Hmm... I'm not sure 'bout the AGP or the PCI thang. I'll have to check it and get back to you! :)

That will make a difference.

You can't put a square peg in a round hole so to say. Most newer cards are PCI-e, but you have to of course have a motherboard that supports PCI-e. I have an AGP-based motherboard, so I have to have an AGP based card.

Posted by triplex on a hardware issue. best pci card [video] evga 128-p1 n320LX G FORCE FX550

That may be the best PCI card, but...

We're talking about PCI Express (PCI-e) and AGP cards here. But of course he could also have a PCI slot instead of a PCI-e or AGP slot, but I doubt it.

And PCI cards (I believe) don't work with Battlefield 2. They have to be a PCI-e or AGP based card in order to run the game.

True 8dalejr,about the mabe. I am not to much of a gamer now, have done in the past, but a good question for others to know if the PCI card would work or not.Im sure could get requirements from i think [EA games]

From the BF2 Readme:

Battlefield 2 only supports the following video cards:
Radeon X700 (PCIe)
Radeon X600 (PCIe)
GeForce 6600 (PCIe)
GeForce PCX 5900 (PCIe)
GeForce 5800 Series (AGP)
ATI Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition
ATI Radeon X800 PRO
ATI Radeon 9800 Series
ATI Radeon 9600 Series
ATI Radeon 9550 (RV350LX)
ATI Radeon 9500 / 9700 Series
ATI Radeon 8500 Series
ATI Radeon X300 Series
NVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra
NVidia GeForce 6800 GT
NVidia GeForce 6800
NVidia GeForce FX 5950 Series
NVidia GeForce FX 5900 Series
NVidia GeForce FX 5700 Series

The problem with many game requirements is that they don't always state whether you need an AGP or higher card to play...video card manufacturers sometimes make cards in both AGP and PCI versions with the same model numbers, but their performance in a computer is much different. If you are planning on playing any new game, or any game that has lots of details in it, PCI video cards are out of the question, no matter how new it may be. AGP or PCI-Express cards need to be used because of their improved transfer rates.

Yep, you're absolutely right McTimson. AGP or PCI-e is definitely the only way to go. That's why I didn't even bother mentioning PCI cards in my first reply to this thread. They probably won't even run the game.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts