1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

video card, fried?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by B1u3, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. B1u3

B1u3 Thread Starter

well, my somewhat new Ati Radeon 9800 pro, with a 3rd party fan and little brass heat things added to the card, has fried, i think.. i started it up today, and i looked at the boot screen and it was really bad looking, like pixelated, then when i logged in to my desktop, all the icons and my mouse, has these little black lines behind them, like the transparent background of the icons were showing thru.

Plus when i launch a game, prey for example, it is really bad, here look at a screen shot:
    [​IMG]

i have updated the driver 3 times, uninstalling and reinstalling, same outcome.

Can i fix this? or is it dead?

i would also like your opinion on wich video card to get, i might just get another 9800 pro, if i can..

thanks in advance-

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Have you checked all the connection to the video card?

Made sure the monitor is connected tight, and the video card isn't coming unseated.

3. B1u3

B1u3 Thread Starter

hello, sorry for the late reply.

i just got done looking inside my computer, all the connections are solid, and it doesnt look like there is anything wrong with the card its self, but i dont really know how to check the connections of the chips and stuff like that on the card.

i should also let you kno that when i try to watch somthing on windos media player, or any other media player, its really bad.. but watching somthing in flash, like on youtube.com, it does nothing, strange huh.

what might the problem be?

4. B1u3

B1u3 Thread Starter

ok so after reinstalling and trying somthing new to solve problem.

i have just got done messing with the hardware acceleration, and the strange thing is that when its set to none, apps that use it open, but give error about open gl ect., however, when hardware accleration is on full, nothing that require opengl and direct 3d ect. opens, or launches, i look in the task manager, and it shows it running...

plus, when im on firefox, and i scroll down, it lags, and its bothersome.

is my card finally dead?? someone tell me please, thanks.

oh, and im considering buying a Ati Radeon x800 xl 256mb/256bit. one review said it was good, your opinon?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484716

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice