1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card/Graphics card/Memory/RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SweetBoi, Nov 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SweetBoi

SweetBoi Thread Starter

My computer is a bit on the slow side at times.... while on the internet and especially while playing some newer games..... not too too bad but enough to get on my nerves..... i was curious on what i should get to upgrade and make it better.... like what kind of RAM and how much and stuff like that.... i know nothing about this stuff.... my video card is nVidia Geforce 6100 GPU (with available PCI-Express slot.... whatever that means??) my computer specs are eMachines W3118 AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3100+, 1.81 GHz, 256 MB RAM... Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2.... PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks :confused:

2. Sponsor

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Your memory is barely acceptable and that should be upgraded.
    Can you tell us what you have checked here:
    "Run,msconfig,ok,startup"

4. schusterjo

schusterjo

If that's all you really have then you should want to get no less then 1G of ram for gaming.
    that would help you out greatly
    Start, right click on my computer,select properties, It will give you the specs there. If it says 256 of ram then you need more ram by far.
    You also could try this program (you still need more ram)
    GameGain 2 2.11.20.2006

This is a slot that you would place a video card into, there is PCI,AGP and PCI-Express
    PCI-Express being the fastest so you good to go there.

5. SweetBoi

SweetBoi Thread Starter

i have everything disabled.....

6. SweetBoi

SweetBoi Thread Starter

the system properties say i have 224 mb ram....????

7. SweetBoi

SweetBoi Thread Starter

would this mean i have to purchase the video card and if so what would be the best???

8. schusterjo

schusterjo

As explained its due to your onboard graphics GPU. thats why it show less ram. It needs that amount in order to display the graphics no matter what that why you only see the less amount. nothing you can do about it except go buy a new video card. And even before you do that you need to go buy some ram.

9. schusterjo

schusterjo

10. SweetBoi

SweetBoi Thread Starter

not really sure on how much the video cards start or end at but whatever the cheapest with the best differance would be.....

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/521582