1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video card is making strange noises!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by monkey1580, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkey1580

monkey1580 Thread Starter

Hiya everybody! My video card, which is a GeForce FX 5200 works fine, except for one minor problem.... well I don't know if I would call it exactly minor.

I'll enlighten you with the story so you can get a background about my problem.

I play video games. A lot. Especially World of Warcraft. One, while I was NOT playing, my computer suddenly started making this EXTREMELY annoying sound. I cannot explain this sound... It is a sort of grinding/whirring sound, or a cross between the two. At first, I thought that it was my motherboard or hard drive. I knew nothing of the sound, only that if I banged on my PC, it would stop, but only for a few seconds, 30 at most. Eventually, I took the case off my computer and started poking around with a plastic pen cap. I listened VERY closely, and was able to determine it was INDEED my video card which was making the noise.

Well, I started poking around my video card at one point. I am VERY hardware illiterate guys, I know everything about running programs on a PC, but close to nothing about what is physically in my PC. I had NO CLUE video cards had ventilation fans. I stuck my pen cap into the fan, and TA DA, the noise stopped. Now even I have common sense . I left it in there for a while, but I became nervous that maybe the card might overheat.

I've tried dusting it, I've tried cleaning it. I haven't tried removing it because I'm more than sure something will go wrong. The fan says "Appolo graphics" on it, although I am sure my video card is a GeForce FX 5200.

Now my question to you guys. Is this it? Must I take my computer to a repair man or buy a new video card? Or is hope not lost? Can I leave my pen cap in the fan to stop the noise? Any and ALL help is GREATLY appreciated!

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

You don't want to leave the fan jammed because the card can overheat and then you'll be buying a new card. Get a can of compressed air and blow the dust out of the fan. That may (at least temporarily) stop the noise.

3. SmartParts97

SmartParts97

if blowing the dust out dosen't work you could always replace the fan urself to save yourself alot more money than replacing the card..

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544825

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice