1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by giddeup, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. giddeup

giddeup Thread Starter

Here's what I've got.

Mother Board: Soyo KT600-8237
    Bios: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.8GHz
    Memory: 1024MB RAM

Video Card:
    PNY GeForce 6200 256MB

My problem.
    I can't seem to get my system to recognize that I have a graphics card. My monitor works and looks perfect, but my display shows that I'm using generic VGA video drivers. When I try to install the drivers on the CD that came with the card it tells me "The graphics adapter installed in the system is not compatible with the current set of drivers". I even went to the Nvidia site to try and download the latest drivers and it tells me "the NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit"

What am I doing wrong? Is there something in the BIOS that I have setup wrong?

Somebody please help, this is driving me crazy. This is the third Video card I've tried in this PC and they all default to generic VGA drivers and won't let me install the manufacturer drivers.

Thanks, Sean

2. dashdanw

dashdanw

wait when you try and update the drivers your selecting to pick out the drivers yourself from a file (advanced) right?

3. giddeup

giddeup Thread Starter

I've tried both. The CD has a button to install the drivers and I also try to install them by opening up the file on the CD through the directory. The Windows Hardware Wizard won't even recognize that I have a Nvidia card in the PC.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

What did you use for video before and is it still present?

5. giddeup

giddeup Thread Starter

When I do a 'dxdiag' it says I am running.
    Main driver: vga.dll
    Version: 5.01.2600.0000 (English)
    Date: 9/3/2002 06:00:00
    WHQL Logo'd: n/a
    Mini VDD: vga.sys
    VDD: n/a
    DDI Version: unkown

And everything under the device section says unknown.

It said the same thing with my last video card which was also a Nvidia 5200 or 5400, I don't recall. I bought a new one because the fan went out on it and it was old.

The monitor works fine and I see everything in crystal clear 1024x768 (32 bit), but If I try to run a game or anything to graphic intense it says I do not have a video card and none of the Nvidia stuff shows up in my advanced tabs for the display.

This is why I'm thinking maybe some sort of Bios issue where the MoBo is seeing there is some sort of video card, but not recognizing it as an Nvidia card and allowing me to use its full potential.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Then dxdiag does not see NVidia and didn't before, either, with your other card.

Do you have onboard video with your board? Is there a setting in BIOS to disable it?

You might also try updating the BIOS. I have seen boards that simply wouldn't recognize NVidia cards at all. I had to use an ATI on a PCChips board, for example, since 3 NVidia cards I tried were unrecognized. It's also possible that there is a physical problem with the board itself, such as a bad connection, that prevents the card from working properly.

Generally, with NVidia cards, there is a display at boot about the card type. What does BIOS see in that slot, and do you see any NVidia message at boot?

7. giddeup

giddeup Thread Starter

That's the odd thing. It sees the card the first thing when it boots. It tells me I have a 256MB Nvidia 6200 card as the first screen that pops up when I start the PC.
    There is not an onboard video for this card, at least that I am aware of, and do not see anything in the Bios to turn one on or off. I know my way around PC's pretty well, but BIOS information is where I get kind of iffy.
    Are there any sites that will tell me exactly what I need to have all my settings at?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is a BIOS update for your board here. It's dated 3-9-05 so it is fairly recent. That may help.

The display on boot is from the card's BIOS and not the board's BIOS, so that doesn't mean that the card is recognized by the board. But, it would at least indicate that the card is properly connected and the slot is working.

Try using the Pause key to view BIOS information on boot (or turn off the splash in BIOS options, if possible, so you can see more information). See if the BIOS sees that card at boot time. Try a lower AGP setting, or Auto if there is one. Be sure that the first graphics device is AGP and not PCI (again, if there is such a setting).

9. giddeup

giddeup Thread Starter

Thanks for the link, but it does not look like it would fix my problem.

Description Add new options to the BIOS
    1. Full Logo Option
    2. Power Failure Resume Option

Nothing about video fixes. I tried a lower AGP setting and still nothing. :(

I may just break down and get a new MoBo soon.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542443

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice