1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card making noise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by windz, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. windz

windz Thread Starter

Hi,

I own an Eagle nVidia Geforce 4 MX440SE 64MB DDR/TV-out. The fan is making a vibrating sound which is very irritating. The sound is there all the time when the computer is running, not just when it is just powered up. Is there any way to reduce the sound or better yet, get rid of it?

2. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

Either the fan is loose, the bearing is bad or the fan blades are hitting something. Get rid of it by replacing the fan with a new one. DON'T bother trying to "fix" it. It's not worth burning up your card!

3. zeddy

zeddy

Check that the heatsink is not loose

4. windz

windz Thread Starter

The heatsink is secure and screwed down tightly. The metal plates of the heatsink are a little apart from the plastic ring surrounding the fan. I think it's the problem with the fan/fan blades. The noise wasn't this bad when I first bought it three months ago. I wonder if the shop will cover changing the fan under warranty.

5. zeddy

zeddy

It should be covered under warranty.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Most likely it the fan can be replaced under warranty, or the entire card - thats what the place I work at does - we just replace the entire card and send it back. You don't want to run the card without a fan, we had several that only had a large heatsink, most have now been replaced because they crapped out - thats what happens when you try to cut costs. :(

7. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

Like everyone else said, take the system back and see if they'll replace the whole card. It's no cost to them but the labor.

8. windz

windz Thread Starter

I'll take it back to the shop then.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

9. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

Good luck.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice