Video Card making noise

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

windz

Hi,

I own an Eagle nVidia Geforce 4 MX440SE 64MB DDR/TV-out. The fan is making a vibrating sound which is very irritating. The sound is there all the time when the computer is running, not just when it is just powered up. Is there any way to reduce the sound or better yet, get rid of it?

Either the fan is loose, the bearing is bad or the fan blades are hitting something. Get rid of it by replacing the fan with a new one. DON'T bother trying to "fix" it. It's not worth burning up your card!

windz

The heatsink is secure and screwed down tightly. The metal plates of the heatsink are a little apart from the plastic ring surrounding the fan. I think it's the problem with the fan/fan blades. The noise wasn't this bad when I first bought it three months ago. I wonder if the shop will cover changing the fan under warranty.

Triple6

First Name
Rob
Most likely it the fan can be replaced under warranty, or the entire card - thats what the place I work at does - we just replace the entire card and send it back. You don't want to run the card without a fan, we had several that only had a large heatsink, most have now been replaced because they crapped out - thats what happens when you try to cut costs. :(

Like everyone else said, take the system back and see if they'll replace the whole card. It's no cost to them but the labor.

windz

I'll take it back to the shop then.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online