1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Video card might need to be replaced

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noahbody, Jan 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. noahbody

noahbody Thread Starter

I was getting garbled text on startup, and when the OS loaded there would be a blue section at the top of the screen which shouldn't be there. After booting it a couple of times those problems didn't go away. After another boot, there was no display at all. Removed the video card, dusted the card and the interior of the PC, reset it back in the slot, and I got display one time - with the garbled boot text and the blue section. Next time I booted it, no display. Reset the video card, didn't work this time - no display. So I conclude the video card is dead. Perhaps I'm wrong and there's something else causing the problem. All I know is I'm not getting a display. I don't know what to look for on the video card to know if it is in fact the cause of the problem. It looks fine to me.

If I was to replace the video card, can I trust a site to tell me which cards are compatible with my motherboard and the rest of the PC's components? This site: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/ says it can tell you which parts are compatible with each other. Is that site accurate? Because if I order something, wait for it to arrive, and it doesn't work with my system, and I have to pay for shipping to send it back and order something else, which may or may not work with my system either, it'd be a waste of time and money, and another unneeded hassle.

Or I could take it to a repair shop, where they'll tell me the computer is toast and try and talk me into buying a new computer, and they'll assure me the new one will do what my requirements are, but it won't. This has happened before.

The mobo is a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R.
    Video card is a BFG GeForce GTX 260 Maxcore 55

Can't use the sysinfo utility because there's no display on the computer I'm having problems with. I wouldn't be able to get info off it.

I don't need advice like "just go buy a new computer". I will if there's absolutely no other solution, but it would be a last resort. I already bought a new computer to replace that one. The new PC doesn't do what I want it to do. I had to buy Windows 10 for it which doesn't run some of the old software I want to continue using. The new PC also refused to let me install Linux on it.

2. lynx1021

lynx1021

Well I know Part picker is not right because I put your motherboard in and it came back wit 4,203 cards compatible. Most of the newer cards are designed to work with a UEFI bios and like mine yours has a legacy bios. It is a crapshoot, some will work and some will not. Also you have to have a 6 or 8 pin power connector on your power supply for most also. I bought several XFX Brand RX 460's (DUAL FANS) off of ebay for my boards because I found a post where a guy was able to get them to work on his legacy board. You can go here and se compatible builds, some of the 10 series cards will work like a gtx1050. There is no database that I know of that tells you what cards will work with legacy Bios. https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Gigabyte-GA-EP45-UD3R/2162

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    noahbody likes this.
  3. lynx1021

lynx1021

UHH! I can't believe what they are asking for used video cards on eBay now, I bought 3 RX 460's last year, two for me and one for my brother for about $60 each, now they want $50 for a broke one!

4. noahbody

noahbody Thread Starter

I ended up phoning a computer store. They told me I just needed a basic GeForce 710, which they had in stock. Went there, bought it for $69 + tax, installed it, problem solved.

5. lynx1021

lynx1021

Good ,deal yes the GeForce 710 and 730 is compatible with the older 775 computers, the 710 is fine if you are just emailing and browsing the web.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1239458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice