1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card misses lines on startup image, some in-game corruption.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by freecologne, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. freecologne

freecologne Thread Starter

I've just installed an ATI Radeon 9800 pro, which seems to work perfectly in standard Windows operation, but falters in other areas. On the Windows startup screen (computer logo then windows logo), it leaves blank lines in the image about two pixels wide and six high. Of course, I don't really care about that, but maybe it's symptomatic of whatever the problem is, because when I play games some strangeness also pops up. In Grand Theft Auto Vice City, the same sort of missing lines plague the screen, floating around in sets of four. Metal Gear Solid 2 really takes the cake, though, with every FMV character's face (that is, those that have animated controls) stretched out like a face waterfall, but there are significantly fewer missing lines. I also tried Sonic Heroes, but...nothing was wrong. It played perfectly, as did Myst 4. Any ideas?

2. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16

Basically, it sounds to me like either the card is currently overheating when you game and performance is going down. or it overheated once and is now "Flaking" or basically dying slowly.

3. brite750

brite750

well because its working with some games it may be a driver problem
    i would go into DM and delete the gfx card then reboot and install the drivers again or download drivers for the card from ATI site, because its an older card it may not like the latest drivers also.

4. brite750

brite750

go to start>run and type dxdiag se if it can pass the gfx tests

5. freecologne

I downloaded some ridiculous utility driver package from ATI, and I've been fighting to stop my computer from restarting after a few seconds of operation for the past hour, it seems. In any case, I'm fairly confident the drivers are the correct ones now. I ran the dxdiag and everything turns up fine, to boot.

I noticed that the card isn't totally 100% inserted on the closest corner to the back end of the tower, but try as I might, I just can't get it to slide in as smoothly as my old card. Could this be causing anything? I thought loose video cards always resulted in no, or totally unusable, video.

Maybe it is Flaking...is there any way to know for sure? Will the problems get worse?

6. brite750

brite750

dont like the mounting issue, if its not making good contact it could be you culprit

7. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16

its a possibility of causing some problems, but if it is flaking, its hard to diagnose, and it may or may not get worse.

8. freecologne

I really did spend about an hour trying to fit that card in properly; I don't know why it's so obstinant. The hook catches and that side goes in fine, but of course the other side just pops up more, like a see-saw. I popped in my old GEforce 2 just to see if I had stupid fingers, but it fit like a glove. Is there any reliable way to force it?

9. brite750

brite750

so youre saying the end toward the back of the pc does not go in all the way, right?
    check to make sure something on your case isnt stopping the rear plate from going in all the way, the rear plate is the silver metal thing where the plugs are.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/604267

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice