1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card not recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moxy, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moxy

moxy Thread Starter

My motherboard no longer recognizes my AGP video card.

The mobo is a Abit SG-80 motherboard w/onboard video and the video card is an ATI AIW 9600 AGP w/256mb, 500w ps.

The real headscratcher here is that if I take another AGP card (ATI 7000) the card comes up rather than the onboard video. I have put the AIW into another computer and the video card works. So, the mobo slot is good and the video card is good.

Once in a blue moon the AIW does come up but it is really hit and miss and lately I can't get it working even with reseating. I have also flashed the BIOS to the most recent with no success.

Any ideas? Is the card or mobo defective?

Many thanks.

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

Well, your only real option at this point is to test the all-in wonder in another machine. Is that something you're able to do?

See if there's an updated driver for the 9600...

Boot into safe mode and remove all video drivers, then reinstall the 9600 with an updated driver...

When you say flashed the BIOS you mean cleared the CMOS, right?

Not really enough to call it defective yet, but try these things and see if any of it helps...

3. moxy

moxy Thread Starter

I will try putting the aiw in another machine in the morning and report here.

The drivers are not an issue as the mobo isn't activating the card so Windows does not see it. The latest Catalyst drivers are installed (but they are not being used as the card does not show up in the device manager).

I cleared the CMOS when I flashed the bios. I mean I updated the bios to the latest available one on the Abit site.

4. moxy

moxy Thread Starter

I put the 9600 into an IBM desktop and it was fine. I could see the bios information when the monitor was plugged into that card. On a whim, I also took the nVidia card from the IBM and put it into the SG80 mobo and it was fine too. When I plugged in the monitor to the nVidia card, the boot up sequence was displayed.

So... the video card works, the motherboard works. Why isn't that card working in that motherboard? Arggg!

5. lee85boro

lee85boro

sounds like a driver issue, what os are you running? have you checked see if your os supports the card, e.g a lot of companies dont have compatible drivers for windows vista yet.. especially if its the 64 bit version. have you disabled your onboard video in the bios ?
    changed your video from pci to agp in your bios.
    on some moboz you have to physically disable the onboard video via jumper pins?
    try these and report back :)

6. moxy

moxy Thread Starter

It isn't an os issue because I unplugged the HD. The motherboard is one of the new fangled ones :p that automatically detects if there is or is not a card in the AGP slot. I tried setting PCI and then back to AGP but no luck. The video comes out of the other card I put into the computer but not that one.

7. lee85boro

lee85boro

im lost... some computers tend to have their own minds...if the other one works and the one your trying works in another machine then.... simply that machine doesnt like that card.. lol :S

8. moxy

moxy Thread Starter

Well, I'm not giving up yet... I wanna see the cool graphical features of Vista lol.

I'm going to send the card back to ATI under warranty for them to check for shorts and whatever unless there are any strong objections on the board.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541932

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice