1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video card not working..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wizzer, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wizzer

Wizzer Thread Starter

I bought a brand new video card - MSI FX5700LE-TD128 and a motherboard - ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe. My problem is when I put the MSI card in, no display shows up. I put in my older Radion 9200SE and everything works fine.

The motherboard manual says that it only supports 1.5V AGP cards...could this be a reason? I've checked MsI's site and can't find any info on that.

The card is AGP 8x as well as the mobo. I'm using WinXP Pro w/SP2 and have a AMD Athlon XP 3200+. Power supply is 300W, but after checking the amperage requirements for the mobo, it should be OK. Only running 2 cd-roms, 2 HDs and CPU fan.

Thanks for any help...appreciate it!

--Jack

2. photolady

photolady

Did you remove ATI's drivers before plugging the new card in? And newer video cards, like the one you have, are 1.5v.

3. Wizzer

Wizzer Thread Starter

Yes...I removed all of ATI's drivers b4 putting the new card in...I even removed the ATI in the device manager. :confused:

BTW..don't know if it matters, but I'm using a NEC MultiSync FE750+ 17" monitor. I have it running @85MHz refresh with my ATI card.

4. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    Does Windows (what version are you using?) find the card when you install it? Did you firmly seat the new card and make sure that you have the extra power connection firmly connected also. I'll assume that your card needs the extra power connection as my 5700 did.

5. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    A quick check shows that your card does not require the extra power connection. It should be compatable with your MB and it should support a refresh rate of 85MHZ. I had a bit of trouble installing my Radeon 9600 into my computer. It seemed to install but would not provide the monitor with any input. I uninstalled and reinstalled it probably (and I mean this literally!) 10 or 12 times before I suddenly got it correct. It would lock into place and Windows would not see it. The only reason I did not take it back to CompUSA after 2 or 3 tries was because I installed it on a Sunday morning about 0200. I don't know why it was so difficult but it's worked for about 6 months now. I replaced the MB and it installed on the first try. Go figure!

6. dai

dai

check what power the card requires some specify a minimum wattage usually higher than what you have

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    300 Watt is low by todays requirements and thats if its a quality 300 watt unit. If you go to this site: http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ You'll find you need more then a 300 watt powersupply for your system.

Another possibility is the card is dead.

8. photolady

photolady

I think Triple6 has hit the nose on the head here. You power supply may be lacking enough for your system. Although you say the motherboard amperage seems to mean it's enough, think about everything else you have pulling power from that supply. Every piece of equipment hooked to that power supply needs a specific amount of power to work. And most systems now days use/need at least a 400w power supply.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330045

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice