Video Card Options

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mike12975

I'm looking to buy a video card for my brother's Sony PCV-RS 420. I opened it up and the PSU is 295 watts, it has an 8x AGP that is currently occupied by a Radeon 9200 64mb card.

I want to know what the best video card that I could get would be. This would be mainly for Battlefield 2.

Any input will be appreciated.

note that u may have to upgrade the psu, a 300w psu may not cut it with a top card.

one other thing, the cpu speed of your bro's pc is a factor. If games become cpu limited, then you may not be getting full performance out of a top range card. eg, a top range card may not show much extra performace than a mid range card, even thou it is capable as the game is limited by the speed of the cpu. so u dont want to waste cash going with the top card in this instance

That machine can't take anything better than it has now without a better powersupply. It is technically capable of running Battlefield 2 (2.8GHz P4 with a DirectX 9.0 videocard) but would benefit from a faster videocard, as already mentioned you would need to upgrade the powersupply, I suggest a 420W or bigger and a GeForce 6600.

mike12975

Well, I would be more than willing to upgrade the PSU if it is possible. Since it is a Sony however, I didn't know if that was feasible. Can I get just regular ATX PSU from Staples and stick it in there or would have to get it from Sony?

A standard PSU should work, just take a look inside and check it currently has the right ATX connector.

Triple6

Rob
Its not just the connections you have to worry about but the physical size of the unit. Also you need to make sure the fan and power switch line up properly with the opening at the back of the case.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online