1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card or Monitor Broken?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RoC_Vision, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoC_Vision

RoC_Vision Thread Starter

UPS recently shipped my tower + monitor and when it got here I powered it up to find that my screen was scattered with lines, arrays of colors, etc. I restarted a few times and the lines eventually went away. But the colors were still a bit odd, and when I started up a few games the pixels were often misplaced, blinking, moving, missing, etc.

I at first assumed that the video card was having a problem so I removed my video card and inserted it again to make sure it was secure. I restarted and had the same problem. And to make matters worse the odd lines and pixels sometimes just randomly returned and covered my screen. I found that moving my monitor cord around and replugging it helped, so now I'm not sure if the monitor or the video card is broken.

The UPS inspector is coming out here soon and I need to be able to tell him what is broken. I don't have another monitor on hand to be able to test it. Is there anyway to figure out if my monitor or my video card is broken? Or if not them then if something else is?

Any help will be kindly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Best way would be to try another monitor - is this one a LCD flat panel? If it isn't I would lean toward the video card.

UPS is not very carefully when shipping - it throw things around.

Since its new - ship it back.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I agree, an analog monitor won't do what you describe. OTOH, a FP can fail in odd ways. I'd just try the FP on a friend's computer, you'll know right away.

FWIW, I'd open the system and reseat all the cards and connectors, it's amazing what a poor connection can do. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165089

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice