1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card Overclocking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pcgamer, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcgamer

pcgamer Thread Starter

I have a Radeon 9800 Pro with Arctic Cooling Silencer (rev. 3) and I would like to overclock it.
    Can you list the steps to go about doing this?
    Please also answer these questions:
    Should I install ramsinks?
    What is a good program to look at my video card temps?
    What are acceptable temps?
    How do I check for artifacts?
    TIA. :D

2. winbob

winbob

I found a lot of great articles...including some Step-by-Step instructions with a Google search of (of all things): "Video Overclocking" (no quotes).

3. batharoy

batharoy

4. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  6. winbob

winbob

Please let us know where you deside to puchase your next Video Card.

7. WarC

WarC

ATItool is pretty much all you need, IMO.

RAMsinks are a bit of controversy. Generally, you won't need RAMsinks unless your RAM overclocks well anyways. So if you can push it with no RAMsinks, and buy some good copper sinks with some good silver thermal compound w/ adhesive, then you could push the RAM a little more. Generally you won't see increases above 5-10MHz. All by itself it isn't noticeable, but with a combined OC of core and RAM, its much better than stock!

8. winbob

winbob

refer back to post #6

9. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I don't quite get what you are trying to say winbob unless it is that an OC of a vid card will ruin it.

It won't unless you get stupid about doing it, and even then you are more likely to have lock ups and artifacts than any damage to the card.

My card will OC to 450/770 with no problems or artifacts at all. It would not be a wise thing to run it pegged like that.

I run at XT speeds which are 412/730 constantly. I edited the bios so I don't need to run any overclocking program at all. If you stay within reason you will be OK.

Some cards come clocked to just about the max you will ever get from them because the Mfg already has the components pushed to the max.

It is a gamble but whatever you do don't crank the card to its max and leave it there. That is asking for trouble.

10. winbob

winbob

Skivvy,

When someone wants to OC a device without extensively seeking the fore-knowledge of what to do, how to do it, and without a specific reason/goal, I predict an upcoming disaster. Yes, I know many folks learn thru experimentation...but many folks also sadly fry their equipment just because they thought it would be kewl to say they OC'ed their machine.

If PCGAMER had said that he is running "game xyz" and only getting 45 fps, and would like to try to reach 60 fps, so his buds wouldn't have a performance advantage over him, I would be more positive on his efforts. He has a specific goal, and reason for risk taking.

Personally I foresee the real possibility that the card will be squeezed until all the Pixels and Page Frames come oozing out of the chip. Just Because.

11. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I gotcha winbob. I was just wondering why you were asking him where he was buying his next card.

Hopefully he will do his homework before OCing the card, or at least revisits his post to see the warnings here. If the OC is too much, he can and will kill the card.

I do see where you are coming from as far as homework goes. I couldn't imagine doing an OC without doing extensive reading first. Parts cost way too much and while the 9800 pro is much cheaper than it used to be it still is far from a "cheap" component. :)

12. pcgamer

pcgamer Thread Starter

I actually overclocked my card before coming here :)
    I know how to do it but what I didn't know was not to leave it running on max overclock (i didn't), but I was guessing so.
    My only concern is temps.
    What temperatures are too high 4 9800 pro?
    How can I measure temp easily? (I know ATITools displays temps but I don't think they are accurate.)

13. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

The only way to measure temps on a 9800 pro is with a sensor on the side of the chip with a readout somewhere outside the machine.
    The best way to get the max out of your card is to find your max and back off by quite a margin. Maybe not as much as I do but I wanted a 9800 pro for too long to take any chances with it.
    Mine will run at 450/385 or 770 if you double up the memory. Most people do double but in your OC tools you can't so.......
    At any rate I run at 412 and 365/730 which is quite a cut but not much of a cut in performance. Hot for a radeon? Over 60*c I would guess. GPUs run hotter than a cpu so it is a touch and go thing. I read of people operating them in the 70*c range. OUCH!
    Just be careful. Back it down from max by at least 25 on each side. If you get artifacts back down some more or just be like me and back it down to where you are sure of yourself.:)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274917

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice