1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card Overheating (GeForce 6800 GT)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Giraph, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Giraph

Giraph Thread Starter

So... I'm using a Leadtek WinFast A400 GT which is a GeForce 6800 GT 256mb card... and I've been using it for over a year just fine. In the passed couple days it seems to be overheating. I would be playing World of Warcraft like usual and the screen would turn all crazy colors of lines vertical and horizontal and my computer would restart. This happens everytime i play World of Warcraft now. I opened the case up to find the video card incredibly hot. Hot enough to burn my finger if I left it on the card. I tried running it with the case open but it doesn't seem to help. I also installed the newest drivers and that's not helping either. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks. If you have any questions just reply to this thread.

2. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Leave the computer open and put a house fan blowing in to it until the card dies.

3. Giraph

Giraph Thread Starter

What do you mean by "until the card dies"? Anyways it's running at

GPU core temperature 102 C
    Ambient temperature 77 C

Core slowdown Temperature
    120 C

That seems extremely hot to me =/.

4. pugmug

pugmug Banned

I mean that the card is overheating bad for what ever reason=bad fan,bad air flow in case or whatever.If the card is under warranty RMA it and get a new one,replace the fan or if not do what I posted before.

5. Evasiege

Evasiege

Make sure to clear off all the dust on the heatsink. I had problems cooling my 6600GTOC because there was too much dust in the fans, but when I cleaned it all out as well as the exhaust fan my temps went back to normal.

6. Giraph

Giraph Thread Starter

Well... it's running fine now, when i looked at it yesterday I found the fan was barely spinning at all so i figured i'd have to buy a new fan, but i turned it off for the night and turned it back on and the fan is spinning at it's regular fast speed now and my temperatures are back down to normal. Not sure what the problem was but it seems like everything's fine right now even when i loaded up a bunch of stuff to test it. So yeah, i'll post again if it messes up again, thanks everyone.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If the fan was running slowly, I suggest you buy a new one. The return to full speed is only temporary, I can assure you. :)

8. kidcnote

kidcnote Banned

Heres a pix of how cool the MOBO and Vid card can get with a small house fan blowing on it for 3 min..

http://www.pixpond.com/1/3kqgou.jpg

9. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

every once in awhile, the heatsink on the video card will become clogged with dust which will cause the extremely high temperatures.

my viceocard is covered, preventing access to the heatsink fins

so to clean it, i just take my vacuum cleaner hose

and place it over where the fan is

and it sucks all the dust out

and immediately after that, the temperature will be up to 12 C cooler than before it did it and after heavy gaming.

PS when doing it, dont apply preasure to the heatsink

10. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

my videocard is usally at 34C

and goes up to 37C when doing heavy gaming

i don't have the side panel on

and i used some steel wire to hang a 60MM fan by the videocard so it is always blowing air at the videocard

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430211

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice