1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card post error, USB overcurrent error, possible failed mobo

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AutoGunsTFC, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AutoGunsTFC

AutoGunsTFC Thread Starter

Ok, firstly I will give my computer stats.
    Asus motherboard M2N4-SLI
    EVGA Geforce 8800 GTS 320 MB
    Athlon X2 5600+ dual core
    2GB corsair ram
    Creative X-Fi extreme gamer card

My computer is about 3 weeks old and has been running just fine, playing all games properly. The only small problem i had was my motherboard cpu fan not working in its cpu fan pin, so instead i have it hooked up to a case fan pin. I am not sure if this means i have a faulty mobo or not.

Just yesterday I installed my brand new Creative sound card, I installed its software and drivers all fine and the PC restarted fine. Next creative wanted to update the drivers and I let it. After it was done installling the new drivers it needed a restart. On restart I could not even get to the post screen and was displayed with an error saying USB over current, PC shutdown in 20 seconds. At first i could not get past this error at all, so i tried taking out the sound card and putting inserting it again. I did not get the USB error now and was happy. I played Battlefield 2142 for a few hours then shut it down. Now today when i get home from work and turn it on i saw that USB over current error again and got quite frusterated. After taking the sound card out and putting it back in I had some new problems. I only saw my Asus Splash screen saying "press delete to enter setup" although pressing delete did nothing, it just hung on that screen.

After that i manually powered off and now i was receiving no screen at all and a post error of one long, and 2 short, indicating a video card problem. I reseatedthe video card many times and tested every cord in the case and making sure it was all hooked up correctly. I even tested a new power supply to see if that was a problem, it was not. My video card powers up and the fan is working, just no display. I have no other pc to test the card in since none of my other PCs have PCI-E slots. I have a feeling this is not the video card since i had the USB over current errors.

- oh also, i tried to remove the cmos battery to reset it or something, not too sure of what i was doing. Is there a way that doing a bios refresh could fix this?

- more info, i have no floppy drive, so i may not be able to put a copy of bois on a disc to flash it

Thank you for any help, i need it badly, i want to play BF2142 so bad :(

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

First thing I would do is get the cpu fan working. usually they have several screws the hold them to the heatsink, I hope you did not take the heatsink off the processor because there is usually one of two things between the heatsink and processor, either a white goo called thermal compound or a little white square material that is thermally conductive if either of these have been disturbed or damaged it can cause the processor to overheat very quickly.
    I would get a new fan assembly and remove the 4 screws and mount the new one on top of the heatsink and get it running.

Then worry about the rest of the things afterwards.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/604394

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice