1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video card , power supply ?? I dunno .

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nitro237, Mar 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nitro237

nitro237 Thread Starter

I am about to go crazy here . I turn the the computer on and the pwer supply starts up , I hear the hard drive start up , etc . , but it's like there is not a video card even installed . I get nothing . I changed the video card out with a known good video card and same thing . The power supply is acting a little strange . As soon as you plug the power cord into the back of the computer the computer comes on and starts powering up . Could the power supply be causing the no video ? Thanks

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi nitro237
    Unfortunately it could be lots of things. Usually when I have seem this it is not the power supply. First reseat all cards,connectors,memory DIMMs and processor and recheck your motherboard jumpers. If that doesnt work unplug your extra cards and drives and try to get a display with just the memory and video card installed. If no display then its down to processor, motherboard, memory and power. BOL

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Does the monitor work on another computer?

4. nitro237

nitro237 Thread Starter

yes , the monitor works on another computer . BTW , it's a Compaq , so I haven't changed any jumpers or anything . I just don't know what to check next . Thanks

5. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi nitro237
    I know you haven't changed anything but sometimes they just come loose and need to be reseated. By the way if you hold the power button in for about 6 seconds it should power off. If another computer is available you could try your memory and processor out in it.

[Edited by Lurker1 on 04-02-2001 at 08:49 AM]

6. nitro237

nitro237 Thread Starter

OK , last night , before I did anything else to it , I turned it on and it booted up and ran fine . I rebooted at least a dozen times , ran fine everytime . I get up this morning , turn it on and , and nothing . Just like no video card installed . I will try reseating everything . Thanks for the help guys ;)

7. Pernod

Pernod

I had computer where the power supply gave up, replaced it with a supposedly new power supply and it did the same as you are reporting, mainly turning itself on as soon as the power lead is put in. It turned out to be a faulty 'new' power supply, as soon as i changed it again, everything worked fine.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/40922

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice