1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

video card/power supply question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by platonjk, May 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. platonjk

platonjk Thread Starter

i upgraded my video card to a ati radeon 9800 from a geforce 4 mx 440.

ati says i need a 300w power supply, my pc has a 250w.

the only devices hooked up to my power supply are two cd drives(one dvd-rw, one cd-rom) the floppy drive, and the hard drive. and i guess the motherboard is included right?

i disconnected the cd-rom drive since i dont use it much.

would there still be a problem? everything seems fine so far.

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

It's a recommendation that I'd follow. The power supply is one of the most important parts of the computer and any trouble with power can lead to bad things. You may see no trouble but you could get to the edge of continuous power, not peaks, and not know it then a spike or heat could disable or even fry parts such as the mother board.

3. platonjk

platonjk Thread Starter

im talking with an HP rep right now. he said there shouldn't be a problem since i disconnected the cd-rom drive.

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

Well, your choice but disconnecting that one drive is a very small power savings since at standby it's probably using no more than a couple watts. In use that'll jump to about 70. My experience on this site with folks who've used company tech support doesn't give me a lot of confidence.

5. platonjk

platonjk Thread Starter

i know spikes are pretty umcommon, and i dont put a heavy work load on my box(games, imaging programs, etc etc).

do you think im running a risk for the time being until i get some money to buy a power supply? say about 4-5 days?

6. griffinspc

griffinspc

If it were me, and maybe others here might chime in, I'd wait the 4 or 5 days and get the new supply then have fun. It's not worth the risk at least for me. You could always put the old card in for a few days.

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. I must wonder about the logic in the video card upgrade, since you said that you don't play games, or use imaging programs :confused:

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

platonjk...

I think the HP tech is giving you the brush off, IMHO like what the others have said, just unplugging the CD-ROM isn't going to give you the needed power needed for this video card...

Now you may be able to use it with the current PSU but...eventually sooner or later the PSU will fail, and it's been my experience that when a PSU fails it sometimes takes out other componets of the computer...

Choice is yours...

But if it were mine...I'd upgrade the PSU, but that's just me :D...

9. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

As I see it, ATI's wattage recommendation can not have much to do with the power usage of the card itself. It is never going to draw 250 watts alone. So if the total demand on the board remains below 250 watts, and the rails are deliverying the amperage, I can't see how 250 is a problem.

I expect if the board starts to get loaded with other peripherals, it will shut down when the draw gets too high for the transformer.

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Candy,
    I was a pro photographer by trade for many years. I play no games, because that's not why I own computers), but I do some involved graphics processing. Long before I did that though I discovered what a huge difference in graphics a really good and fast video card will make, probably because of how sensitive I am to color and refresh rate. While I won't go top of the line with video card I will get runnerup and never less than 256 meg. I mean let's face it we spend a lot of time staring at a screen close up so the best and easiest thing we can do for our eyes, is the most reassuring investment we can make so no bargains in monitors or video cards for this guy!

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Your P/S is pretty marginal for the system. Remember, if it goes, there's a chance that it'll take some other part with it.

12. loony_taz00

loony_taz00

I suggest putting the old one back in untill you get enough money for the new PSU

13. platonjk

platonjk Thread Starter

i put the old card in and got a new power supply(300w, compusa brand. got it real cheap at 15 bucks)

also i wanted to upgrade the graphics card because im planning on getting a tv tuner card and was wondering if a graphics card would make a difference.

the graphics card was free so i thought what the heck.

thanks guys.

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

Start planning replacement now for bargain psu, it will go in one wrong shutdown, and probably take cpu and motherboard with it.

15. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/467944

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice