1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video card power supply requirement (GTX 260, GeForce 9800)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Juice13610, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juice13610

Juice13610 Thread Starter

I just came in to the desktop group about 6 months ago, and a few things we do are a little odd (to me). For instance, we order GeForce 9800 cards for AutoCAD users.

But any way, we always ordered these 9800s with a computer that had a power supply that put out lesser wattage than required. So my question is, for the 9800/GTX 260 (nvidia), will it give a message that the wattage is too low or that it is going to start performing less, or can it cause issues without ever giving such messages?

Can it potentially cause issues with other pieces of hardware?

2. Jones

Jones

You won't get a warning message.

Most often what happens is a freeze/crash or a restart.

If you haven't experienced any crashes, then the video card is not being stressed very hard. Normally these crashes occur as soon as you put load on to the card, but if this isn't happening, then a 9800 card is total overkill for your application.

You could probably get by with a 9400 or 9500 for these purposes. Technically, a Quadro from nVidia is really their workstation card, but they are all based off the same chips.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/799685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice