1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

video card problem in dual-monitor setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skeet103, Dec 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skeet103

skeet103 Thread Starter

i have set up dual monitor configurations in windows 98 (SE) before with nearly identical hardware, but am having trouble this time.

i have an MSI geforce-2 64mb AGP card as my primary video card. it has been working fine. i put in a 4mb PCI ATI all-in-wonder card to use as a secondary and hooked a monitor up to it. when i restarted, the bootup screen came up on the second monitor, something i had never seen before. i installed the drivers and restarted. now my desktop is only on the second monitor and device manager doesn't even see my geforce any more. it its place are two "3D RAGE PRO AGP 2X", which doesn't make sense because the card is PCI. under display properties, it also says i have two of the same card. on my primary monitor is the "windows has successfully initialized this display adapter..." message. i want to use my geforce as the primary and my ATI as the secondary. any ideas? please help.

2. bencpht

bencpht

in your bios there should be a setting for primary display (agp or pci). Switching that option would be my only guess.

3. skeet103

skeet103 Thread Starter

i got the second display working, but now i can't activate the s-video out on my primary. when i try to enable the monitor (tv) it can't find it, even if i disable the secondary first. also, when i try to install the pci card software (tv tuner, capture drivers, etc.) from the cd, it says there is no card installed. any ideas?

4. skeet103

skeet103 Thread Starter

update: temporarily fixed the s-video, but not completely. i could use it as a third monitor and it seemed to display everything fine, but if i tried to play a video (mpg or divx) on it, i got a "could not find combination of filters..." message or a "a pin is not connected" message, even though it plays on the other two screens. i have watched videos through the video output before, so i know it is capable. i rebooted, and now all i get on the tv is an odd pattern, i can't use anything on it. when i change the resolution or colors, the pattern changes. help!

5. tbirdracer97

tbirdracer97

Hey, i dont mean to steal you thread but i am currently running a dual monitor setup with an XFX GeForce FX5600. I got my AIM buddy list to open up on the secondary monitor but all of the message and away msg boxes still pop up on the primary monitor. How can i make these boxes pop up on the other monitor?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/109716

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice