Video Card problem or is it other?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JamesBone

First question out of the way. Its not possible for a virus to destroy hardware, is it? Probably a stupid question. I would think no, but I only said that because I have two computers and the video card in both computers have went bad at the same time. Kind of weirded me out.

Anyway, my newer computer has a eVGA Geforce 6600GT PCI-E. I go to turn it on this morning, and the computer monitor goes into sleep mode. I can hear the devices load up, but I'm not getting any picture. I was presented with a long beep and two short ones.

I look up the Award BIOS beep codes, and it shows its a display adaptor problem. Ok, I think its a bad card then. Someone told me that if I took the card out, it should be ok. If I still hear the beep code, then it could be the PCI-E bus on the motherboard instead of the card. Is that right?

Anyway, I took the card out, turned the PC back on, and I get the same beep code. So is it indeed my motherboard? ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe? Did the bus go bad or am I just getting beep codes because I don't have anything in the slot?

Could it be anything else? I sent eVGA a message for a replacement. If my card is bad, I have a lifetime warrenty on it. No problem. If my motherboard is bad...ugh.

And can I pop the card in PCI-E slot 2 and still get it to work? (in case its the bus, to know if the card is working), or does it have to be in slot 1? And does AGP cards work in PCI-E slots? I only ask that because the manual keeps saying "PCI-E AGP card"

I saw another message like this, but just to clear things up. My computer was working fine last night. I powered down, went to sleep. I woke up today, and this happened.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online