1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card Problem - Playing Video and Shutting Down Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spinnermason, Mar 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spinnermason

spinnermason Thread Starter

Hi,

I’m in a dilly of a pickle here.

When playing video, my screen will go black for just a second and then return to normal. With most video players, the video will then usually play, but when using BSPlayer (bsplayer.org) to watch video, the screen will go black, return to normal and then video will not play.

It gets worse. Sometimes, I will be minding my own the computer will still be running, but then, the screen will go black, then the monitor will give me the old message:
    "self test / check your pc and signal cable / monitor is working"
    The computer will still be running, and the only way I know to get picture back is to restart the computer. I have gotten this error the most when the using BSplayer, which sometimes causes the monitor to just shut down like that. But other video players like divx, QuickTime, and windows media player will all occasionally not play or cause weird image problems to crop up on the screen

Also, if the computer freezes up, hitting ctrl+alt+del gives me a black screen with garbled white text.

I have updated my NVIDIA drivers and installed the latest bsplayer version, but neither of those actions fixed my dilemma.

Video Card: NVIDIA Geforce FX 5200
    CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2200

2. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

sounds like the gpu is overheating or goung bad get some compressed air and blow out the video card very through (*get the rest of pc while you are at it) and if this dont help you may have to replace

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/341461

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice