1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card Problem?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jaymeboz, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaymeboz

jaymeboz Thread Starter

HELP!
    Let me try & give you a quick run down of my problem.

Last night after a screen saver had been running for about an hour, when I returned to normal running mode to surf the internet I had developed gray ghosting lines running horizontally across the monitor.

After some reading here & egads yes other places (HP.com for one) I decided my problem was either my video card had bit the dust or my monitor was dying.

I went to hp & followed their instructions for resetting the monitor. Which was basically to go into the Device Manager& remove all monitors in Safe Mode & then restart the computer.

Oy vey. After some searching I have my HP M90 monitor setting back, but now all images appear pixelated, not sharp & clear as they previously did.

By the way... I also tried to update video drivers too- so I am not sure if this did an override on my exisiting drivers.

I feel so dumb, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing in the hands of a desperate woman :eek: LOL

As always with you folks, Any help is appreciated!!

****Please note- since posting I have been able to go in & change ny display properties & restore the images to sharp, clear as they previously were. However, I cannot figure out the gray lines...is it indeed the video card or monitor pooping out?

2. westsidedoc

westsidedoc

Jaymeboz

The first thing I always check is the connections.

Turn your computer completly off, remove and insert the monitor cord that is connected to the back of your computer tower 5 or 6 times. It may be a bad or dirty connection.

You can do the same thing with the video card but you will have to open the tower. A word of "CAUTION" if you decide to open the tower be careful of static electricity. If the first part doesn't solve your problem and you would like help with the video card let me know. It's not very hard to do.

Doc

3. jaymeboz

jaymeboz Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the reply. I will do it tomorrow night. I have to get up for work in about 5 hours, so I will try the connection as you have suggested. If that isn't it... rest assured I will need pointers for the video card!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice