Video Card Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BigGerty2

Hello,

Last night during a game of Warcraft the game suddenly locked up and I received a VPU error, something in a range of "Driver unable to communicate with video card, reseting video card...". After this occurred I rebooted and at the login screen, my screen went black with no signal. I then attempted a safe mode reboot, I was able to log in but the video corruption was so bad I couldn't troubleshoot. This is the first time I have had any issues of this type with this video card. I have had heat issues in the past, bad artifacts, etc...I resolved this with a higher quality fan, but I do still get a few artifacts at times under real heavy loads. I have also not had a chance to test my system with a different video card.

System Information
ATI 9800XT (One Year Old)
Asus SK8V MB
Windows XP Home

Any help on this issue would be appreciated and if I need to post any more information let me know, thank you for your assistance.

Have you been overclocking the card? If so it is hard to tell if something popped. Can you boot into safe mode? If so you might want to do that and then go to add remove and remove your video card drivers and then boot into windows normally and reinstall them.

If you can't boot to safe mode then check all the connections on the card and reseat it and try again. If none of these things work then try the card in another machine. If it won't work in another machine your card is toast.

BigGerty2

About six months ago I had the card overclocked, but I had major artifact problems so I returned it to default. I can boot into safe mode, but there is so much video corruption, blurred characters, dots all over the screen, etc..that it's very hard to troubleshoot. I will attempt to remove my drivers, if I don't have any success doing that I will try to remove the card and install it in another system, Thanks.

A 1 year old built by ATI card is still under warranty, that is the good news. Other manufacturers have different warranties that you would have to check on.

The bad news would be if you had installed an aftermarket cooler or ram sinks you would be out of warranty however if you could get it back stock and send it in you "might" not get caught.

Also, there is no way they can tell if you OC'd the card if it has its original bios.;)

BigGerty2

Hehe, Good to know, the problem I have with that is I bought the card OEM :(

I ended up removing the driver, rebooted, login, no visual problems what so ever. So I attempted to enter the systems error log and then, blue screen, giving me the error there's a problem with ATIDVAG.dll. Reboots, I get back in without a problem, attempt to get to system to view the driver information, windows critical system error, I hit report and system locked up. I rebooted again and back to the original no signal to monitor. The driver that windows installed was an earlier version then what I had previously installed, so I am assuming that's not the problem. I'll install the card in another system, see if I have any luck, thanks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online