1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sidious66, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sidious66

Sidious66 Thread Starter

Okay, here's the story:

I just purchased a bunch or new computer parts online. I got an ASUS P4C800E-DLX motherboard and an ASUS Geforce FX 5900 256MB. I have an older monitor, it's a 17" TVM AS6S and when i plug the monitor into the VGA port on the video card it doesn't display anything. The monitor flickers like it's trying to change resolutions but the screen just stays black.

The video card also has a DVI-I port and an adapter for it. When i use this the screen works but every so-often the picture will become all distorted with artifacts all over the screen and the monitor will sometimes just go black after this. And i have to reboot the computer, sometimes a couple times to get the picture working properly again.

Does this sound more like a problem with my monitor than my video card?

2. Annorax

Annorax

Do you have another monitor to test with? If, when you change resolutions or refresh rates, your monitor acts odd, it's most likely that your monitor can't support the new settings. Try to eliminate the guessing game by trying another monitor. Then, if you have another computer, try using the video card in there and see what happens.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164391

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice