1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video card question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thedome, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thedome

thedome Thread Starter

Hi All, would appreciate any help or advice on this! I have an older Dell Optiplex, GX 270.2046 memory, 500 gb HD. I would like to greatly improve the video, if possible what type of video card do I need to fit the slots on the board?? Seems like the video is now built into the MB. If this is possible, besides what type of card, any recommendations on brand, memory on it, etc. The processor is 3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4. Thanks!! :)

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Dell OptiPlex GX270

Which of the 3 models do you have?

It appears they all have an AGP slot for adding an AGP video card.

2 models need to use a low-profile video card because of the limited space inside.

Depending on which model you have, the power supply wattage ranges from 160 watts to 250 watts.

This is going to limit which video card you can install or if you can install one, unless you replace the power supply with a higher wattage model.

If your intent is hard-core gaming or anything else that's graphics-extensive, you need a computer with hardware for that purpose.

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. thedome

thedome Thread Starter

It's the mini tower so I assume I need the compact one as the slot doesn't look very long. Tks!

4. thedome

thedome Thread Starter

Any recommendations what brand??

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The small minitower model supports video cards up to 9" long.

That model also has a 250 watt power supply, so you should install a heatsink model video card instead of a cooling fan model because it'll use less power.

Here are some that you can browse through.

--------------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1078213

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice