1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

video card question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cassie69emt, Oct 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cassie69emt

cassie69emt Thread Starter

Our kids computer keeps saying check video cable connection. I tried hooking it up to another monitior and same thing .I am assuming I need to buy a new video card . Does it matter which one I get. It is a hp pavilion 6640c running win 98 se ,384 mb ram, 30 gb Hard drive and I believe the processor is 500mhz . It is not hooked to the internet the kids need it to type up their reports for school and such . Geeeeeez what ever happened to writing it with pen ????:rolleyes:
    Thanks
    Cassie

2. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Looking at the age and what the computer is used for I would buy a dirt cheap pci vid card to put in it. It may just be a corrupt file in the 98 o/s. Do you have a 98 o/s install disk and key code?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Are you getting any post display ie see the HP logo or post data? If not, it is NOT a windows os problem. If it were, you would see everything up to when the bios hands off to the os.

Post back with exactly what you see when you power it up. I am thinking all you see is the message to check the cable. That is generated by the monitor itself; not your system and would point at failed hardware.

4. cassie69emt

cassie69emt Thread Starter

I only get check video cable connection on a black screen.
    Thanks
    Cassie

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you are comfortable opening the case, you might try reseating the video card. If your system has onboard video, this would not apply. If you post the make and model of your system ie dell xxxx or whatever, I can tell you if it has onboard video or not.

6. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Make and model are in the first post of the thread,hence my responce in post #2.

7. pugmug

pugmug Banned

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/505943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice