1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

video card question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GoAway96, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GoAway96

GoAway96 Thread Starter

Ok...my friend is giving me is couple year old video card if i want it...but i don't know if it is even better then the one i already have so does anybody know if it's better. I have all the names of the cards below

My current card: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller

My friend's card: VISIONTEK NV996.0 RIVA TNT2

...yeah i know...they are both old but i'm getting my friend's for free so even if it's a little better then i'll get it...and if you don't know for certain then could you tell me if you THINK it might be better...thanks in advance :)

2. MasterZoran

MasterZoran

hmm, your current graphics card is onboard so i will have to ask, how new is your motherboard? Your friends card only has 32meg of video memory (according to google) and most new motherboards have much better cards built in, but if your motherboard is an older one it may be an upgrade.

3. brite750

brite750

if you have an agp slot I would think about getting a decrete graphics card, we would have to know the model # of the MB or pc brand name

4. brite750

brite750

if you are in the states compuvest is a good site to get older agp cards for cheap

5. GoAway96

GoAway96 Thread Starter

well...my motherboard came stock with my computer that i bought 3 or 4 years ago...it's a Dell Dimension 3000 if that helps...basically everything is stock on the computer except the processor...my parents wont let me upgrade the computer much, for them upgrades are unneeded

6. GoAway96

GoAway96 Thread Starter

well...i'm gonna try it out and if there are any problems i'll post 'em

7. Compiler

Compiler

The TNT2 is on par, or sometimes slower than a some onboard intel chipset.

I just dropped a TNT2 card in a PC and it was WAY slower than the onboard VIA-GPU... But I was curious how it would perform. At one point, the TNT2 was a $150+ card when it first came out about 1999.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/677406

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice