1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video card question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by choffman41, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. choffman41

choffman41 Thread Starter

Recently picked up a Dell GX280 that had a X300 Radeon 64mb card with DVI plug. Since I don't have an adapter, I took the card out and used the onboard video. Works fine, but I'm a little confused. The onboard video is listed as ATI 128 mb. The PCI-E card I took out is a 64 mb memory. Why would someone spend the money to put this in unless it was better than the onboard video? I'm sure there is something I don't know about allocation of system memory or something. Am I better off getting an adapter and using the Radeon card, or just stay with the onboard?

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Hey there, The onboard graphics uses some of the system RAM as graphics RAM. this means that the actually computer may slow down as a result. I am not 100% sure but I think on board also uses more of the CPU and makes it slow down further as well.

Jack-O-Bytes

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't mention how much RAM is currently in that Dell OptiPlex GX280.

It comes with only 256 - 512 MB pre-installed, but it supports up to 4096 MB(4 GB) for the desktop and mini-tower models and up to 2048 MB(2 GB) for the small form factor model.

Integrated graphics uses a portion of the computer's RAM for video memory, but a video card has its own video memory.

If that computer has a small amount of RAM, it would benefit more by having a video card with 64 MB of video memory than having integrated graphics that uses up to 128 MB of its RAM for video memory.

------------------------------------------------------------------

4. choffman41

choffman41 Thread Starter

In case anyone cares.............
    I got a vga adapter and put the Radeon back in and did some tests with PassMark. By the way, the computer has 1 gig physical memory. Comparing the results I came up with these numbers: 2D graphics, -20% 3D graphics, -30% system memory performance, +.3% overall system score, -11% These are the scores of the PCI express card compared to the onboard video. My daughter is playing Snoopy vs. Red Baron and can't really see any difference in that game. I'll put another couple gigs of system memory in and junk the X300 Radeon. Now I know.(y)

5. dant22185

dant22185

Basically as what was said before. The PCI Card will take away what the CPU and system memory have to do for Video Graphics Processing. They also have their own processor on top of their own individual RAM. So in turn it will help your system. A more intensive strain on the GPU (Grapics Processing Unit) would reveal the true nature of just what the video card is doing for you.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970285

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice