1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card, Ram, No Boot up?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stuy59187, Nov 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stuy59187

stuy59187 Thread Starter

So, my AMD K6 processor was giving me some problems so I decided to upgrade to more ram.
    My system has a pretty generic video card (AGP)
    64 Ram, plus 128 that I added PC 100
    PC100 Motherboard

That is the basics.

I had to take my video card out to get at my ram, so, when I put everything back together, I started it up, and the screen went to low power mode.

I reseated the video card many times....cleared the BIOS and no luck.

Also, after the 3.5 light goes off, the computer gives off a long steady beep.

If this gives you any ideas...let me know.

Also, I replaced the fan over the CPU, but didn't move the processor.

Any other ideas that might work would be great....I still haven't tried the card in a different machine....haven't gotten brave enough to try and find a different one yet.

Thanks
    Stuart

2. StevenYoungMin

StevenYoungMin

The single beep will be an error code. Look up your bios on the web and see what the single beep code means. I think it will probably be a memory error. Have you tried taking the new memory out and starting the machine?

Steven

3. stuy59187

stuy59187 Thread Starter

Yes, I did try and take out the memory. I took it back to my original chip, and still nothing. (I have yet to remove the original chip).
    Unfortuantley, my manual has nothing as far as trouble shooting in it. It describes the features but nothing else.
    As far as checking the company, they have no support for this motherboard. (Trying to find the memory for it was a guess.)

Oh, yes, and the motherboard is a PC Chips PC100 M 577.
    They have support for the Bios, etc. but, nothing as far as a manual.

Would you suggest removing the original chip and trying a different one, instead of the original, which has been in it?

4. StevenYoungMin

StevenYoungMin

5. stuy59187

stuy59187 Thread Starter

Thanks, It is Award Bios, so, it looks like a memory problem.

this is the second time I have tried upgrading the memory in this computer, and the chips never want to fit into the slots quite right. I know it is the right memory, but the slots are strange, they just don't seem to have enough width between the dividers. So, I am going to try to take the thing apart again.

Just noticing that the motherboard doesn't have supports in the middle of it. The board is bowed, from something or other.

Thanks, I will give it a try.

"It's times like these that make me realize how much of a mistake it can be to buy a computer premade."

6. stuy59187

stuy59187 Thread Starter

Got computer to work, Ram was not in all the way. It was in at the edges, but not at the center.

Thanks for the help. Next step, upgrade to Win 2K.

Thanks again...
    Stuart

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59263

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice