1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

video card rateing

Discussion in 'Games' started by Redeemer78, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Redeemer78

Redeemer78 Thread Starter

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I'd rate it mediocre at best, especially for a PCI-EX card. It isn't a gamer, that is for sure. If you want to surf the web and do some light photo editing its fine. If you want FPS in games, forget it.

3. Redeemer78

Redeemer78 Thread Starter

4. funkdmonkey

funkdmonkey

a 9800SE is horrible in my opinion. Try getting a 9800pro or 9800xt. Even a 9600xt.

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Some 9800SE cards can be softmodded using omega drivers. Some, not all. It is a roll of the dice. a 9800 pro or a 6600GT is the only way to be sure you can play games with decent framerates. The 9600XT is a good card but the last 2 really big games, Doom3 and HL2 really tossed it through a loop.:(

Some games are rough on even the best card out there. NFSU2 played like crap even on my X800XT PE. Bad coding there is no getting around.:mad:

6. funkdmonkey

funkdmonkey

How is that x800xt pe? I hear everyone complaining how they blew $600 and they get worse frames than older cards like 5700 or 9500s. Im guessing they bottleneck their systems.

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

It was great while it lasted. I got smacked and lost my entire machine except for one HDD to a power surge. My machine is all new including the 9800 pro.:(

The X800XT PE is a great card. However I won't be buying another one soon. I am anticipating when the X800 series drops a bit more in price, checking around for an X800 pro vivo with the proper ram and giving it a quick flash.:D

8. funkdmonkey

funkdmonkey

Heh good old flashing :D
    Ive been an ati whore since forever but nvidias 6xxx series is actually very impressive and i wouldnt mind using there cards now. what about u?

9. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Nope. I am an ATI fanboy all the way.:D Actually the 6800 Ultras are tempting but I'll most likely stay ATI.

I have liked ATI ever since I replaced my Vanta with a 7500. :D The difference was so huge I swore off Nvidia forever. LOL

10. Topato

Topato

The X800 has been the greatest purchase I ever made. It overclocks incredibly well. I have it hard modded with my my CPU clocked at 550-600 and my ram at 1.1 ghz

11. funkdmonkey

funkdmonkey

I will never trust overclocking. I did it once *properly* and my comp still fried. My friend did it once but with liquid cooling. Eventually the liquid ruptured and ruined his comp more than possible if it fried. Actually half his room caught on fire!

12. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

That is exactly why I said you need to know what memory you are getting as well as other particulars about the card you get.

If you get the "right" X800 pro vivo, you have a declocked X800XT in your hand for quite a few less duckett$$$$. :)

13. Topato

Topato

and the mod is very easy to perform :)

14. squidseven

squidseven

put an x800 pro in my new system and am very impressed. Can run half-life 2 maxed out no problems, and doom 3 almost. Haven't made any mods to it yet. what's this software modification people talk about making to it - any risks? is it worth it?.
    The card did cost more than my motherboard and processor put together (athlon 3500 and asus a8v) but it's worth it to run those suped up first person shooters in all their glory.

15. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

If it is a vivo and has the same ram as one of the X800XTs it can be flashed to an XT. You would need to do a google on it, or just visit www.ocfaq.com

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330451

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice