1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card Removal Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vhab, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vhab

vhab Thread Starter

I am going to change my video card soon, so I thought I would open up my case and locate the video card. I located the video card easily, but It was much harder to tell how to get it out.
    The card is an FX5200 (I know, that's why I'm changing it) AGP 8x. I found a little button that I could push near the AGP slot and that looked like it would do the trick, but it didn't work.
    Could anyone please help located the other thing I have to do to get the video card out.

My manufacturer is Dell, if that helps with the orientation of the case.

Thanks.

2. Jo1lygrngian

Jo1lygrngian

Have you also undone the screw, which attaches the card to the case?

3. vhab

vhab Thread Starter

Ahah!
    Where is the screw located?

The case is a Dell Dimension 8300
    Thanks for such quick reply...

4. Jo1lygrngian

Jo1lygrngian

you will find it on the external side of your motherboard. It is attatched right at the end of the card. You should also see other screws, for pci cards (that is if you have pci cards inserted)

On some cases, you have to undo a security type panel, in order to access the screws. I cant say for certain as the pic i have here, doesnt show the back of your case. But it does show a green handle type device. Chances are it will have something to do with this too. either lift, or push a lever??

5. vhab

vhab Thread Starter

My case is strange. When you open it, instead of coming totally off, it slides half of the case out of the way. I don't know what the mobo looks like. Do you mean and external screw on the side where you connect the monitor cable to (the blue port that you connect the monitor to on the PC)?

6. Jo1lygrngian

Jo1lygrngian

Dell Pc's are exactly that.. strange lol.. Every one i have worked on, has opened in exactly the same way, side openings.

Your motherboard will be the main board inside your case, with everything else attatched to it.

Yes to the external screw... The images im looking at here, dont really show the detail all that well :(, but they do show you can add and remove cards and drives without tools.

Looks like it is something with the green catch.. Sorry I should of spotted this earlier.

7. pascalli2

pascalli2

I've worked with quite a few Dells, and generally the expansion cards are held in place by a metal bar that folds down over where the screws would go. If I'm not mistaken there should be a little green handle near where the external side of expansion cards go, and if you give it a little push down, you can move it around a fastener holding it in place, and lift it up to allow the cards to come out.

Hope that helps.

8. vhab

vhab Thread Starter

I posted an attachment of almost exactly how everything in my system looks.
    I couldnt find the green hatch so if you could circle it in paint or any photo-editing program and then upload it that would be great.

BTW, then that means that the mobo's dimensions are the same as the case, except for depth of course! I never knew it had so much stuff on it!

Attached Files:

9. brite750

brite750

also thought you said you were trying to press that button on the end of the agp card in, you actually have to pull it out to release that end of card, its spring mounted.

10. pascalli2

pascalli2

I drew a couple of circles on the picture you posted. If you look at the red circle, that green thing should be able to somehow be lifted up (there should be a little handle or something on it that you can manipulate to get it up).

The blue circle is just of the part that is preventing you from removing the video card. The metal plate that is mounted on the card, and fills the gap around the blue video connector. It is part of the card, and is held down into the slot by the green piece circled in red. Once you have that lifted, you should be able to pull the green lever/switch thing at the base of the card and lift it up out of the slot.

Attached Files:

11. vhab

vhab Thread Starter

I have to pull the little clip out?
    Well what about the "other end" of the card?
    I think the picture is pretty detailed, it's 600x800, so you shouldn't have any trouble telling me in what general area the "other end" release is.
    Thanks again for all the time and help everyone.

12. vhab

vhab Thread Starter

Thanks!
    I will try that now!

By the way, that won't damage or disturb anything If I remove then put back in the same card while the PC is totally disconnected will it?

13. vhab

vhab Thread Starter

Okay, the hatch is easily removed. So are you saying that after I remove the hatch all I have to do is pull out the clip and then pull out the card?

By the way, as I'm sure you have heard, some dell models use propriatary power supplies. Do you know if this model has a propriatary one? Also, does it require skill to replace a power supply? All those wires do look kind of intimidating for someone who hasn't ever upgraded a PC.

14. norton850

norton850

Yes you should be able to just pull out the card.

The 8300 is a 2004 model isn't it? Supposedly for the last few years Dell has no longer been making proprietary power supplies (meaning the wiring is now standard). so you should be OK. Sometimes however the are on the small side and it's possible that a standard sized power supply may not fit in the case. Someone else might be able to answer this. Except for this replacing a PS is straight forward.

15. pascalli2

pascalli2

Yeah, once you've disconnected the latch holding the card in place, just pull the lever at at the base of the card and lift the card out. As long as you don't break anything pulling the card out, you're not going to damage anything by putting another card back in. The slot is meant to be usable by different cards.

As far as the Power Supply is concerned, it's a fairly straightforward process, and I think Dell's are using the right power units on consumer models these days, but I'm not too sure about that. I wouldn't really recommend modifying a Dell chassis too much, though, if you want to change out a lot of components, I'd say buy a new case and power supply and move the stuff you want to keep into it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431480

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice