1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card Resolution Setting

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Kuwaiti Kid, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kuwaiti Kid

Kuwaiti Kid Thread Starter

I have just installed Red Hat Linux for the first time as I want to learn about something other than windows. I am having trouble setting the video resolution. The system allows me to do this but when I complete the operation by restarting my computer the resolution returns to 800 x 600. I not that before I restart my system their is an onscreen message talking about an x server.

2. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

YOu need to edit your XF86Config. There is a section with display modes, look for all instances of 800x600 and replae them with... whatever.

btw XF86COnfig is usally in /usr/etc/X11/ Depending on what your using etc (i've never used red hat)

3. codejockey

codejockey

I'm not sure you need to remove the 800x600 entries from your XF86Config file (although the method Whiteskin suggests would probably work). Often, the XF86Config file specifies multiple resolutions; your problem may be that the default is set to 800x600 instead of what you prefer. Look for lines beginning with the word 'Modes" in the screen section of the file. If the first entry is 800x600, that's your default; simply change the order of the entries to specify a different default. You can also use the cntl-alt-numeric-plus and cntl-alt-numeric-minus to cycle through the available resolutions (as defined in your XF86Config file) -- so a keystroke or two may allow you to switch to your preferred resolution, regardless of the default (note: this will not change the default).

Hope this helps.

4. Kuwaiti Kid

Kuwaiti Kid Thread Starter

I found the file "XF86Config" and the default resolution is set to "800 x 600" but I can only view it and I am not allowed to edit it. I have managed to find out that the file is owned by "Root" who I assume is the administrator. Now I dont know how to get back to administrator status.

When I change the screen resolution in the "Windows' environment the system asks for the "Root Password" before a change is made but as soon as I reset the computer the resolution goes back to "800 x 600"

5. codejockey

codejockey

You can become another user by using the su command. At the command line, type su username, where username is the name of the user you wish to become (e.g., su root). You will be prompted to supply the password for the user you wish to become. If you supply it correctly, you will become that user. If you want to know which user you are, you can use the id command; type id at the command line, and you should receive a line telling you your (current) userid, groupid and group membership information. When you have finished doing what you need to do as another user, you can use the exit command to return to your previous userid.

There are a few more wrinkles, but hopefully that will get you started in the right direction.

One suggestion: be sure to back up your XF86Config file before starting to edit it. (e.g., cp XF86Config XF86Config.bu).

Hope this helps.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!