Video Card (small display problems)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

XP 007

Hi there,

I have a 3 year old XP computer with an Nvidia 7900GS graphics card and I think that the graphics card is starting to go a little bit faulty and I am seeking some advice.

Here are a couple of problems I am having:

1. While performing normal day to day activities on the computer (like on the internet) I sometimes notice a faint straight pink dashed line that appears over white backgrounds. I noticed it again the other day while installing a program and while moving the program window around the screen, the pink line was moving with it, so I could practically draw pink lines all over it.

2. Sometimes while playing full screen games (especially Tomb Raider 7+8), I get random distortions of flashing lines and patches on the screen. In cinematics, there are quite a few flashing white or red dots that appear on the screen, and after exiting the games, the desktop is also polluted with quite a few green/blue/red dots. The dots do not cover the screen (they are just patched around in various places.) If I open a window on top of them, they disappear.

- I am alreading seeking advice from a Tomb Raider forum about the games and they said that it was possible that my video card was overheating or I had overclocked it.

Could anybody help on this matter -- it is greatly apprecited! :eek:

XP 007

its an overheating issue I'd say. What kindda monitor do you have?

XP 007

Thanks for the reply,

My monitor is a 17inch LCD, Resolution 1280x1024.

Open the case and see if the fan on the video card needs cleaning.
Check all the other fans while you're in there.

You can use some compressed air to clean them.

XP 007

I have got rid of all the dust that was clogging the fan and cleaned out the main computers fan, aswell as removing dust from other areas as well. Unfortunately, there isn't a noticeable difference and these problems still occurr...

Can you possibly give me any further help please?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online