1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card Swap

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Euclid34, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Euclid34

Euclid34 Thread Starter

Ok, I am a World of Warcraft player and I "upgraded" to an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro a few months back from a lowe end NVIDIA card, I cannot even remember which one it wsa off hand... anyways, I think that the performance of the game was smoother with the NVIDIA card and now I want to try the old one again... my question is this.

What steps should be taken in returning the old card to the system? when do I install the new drivers and how do I uninstall the old ones? and when do i uninstall?

thanks!

2. norton850

norton850

Before you do this. Make sure you have the latest chipset drivers for your MB. They should be installed first before the drivers for the video card. If you haven't done so get the latest drivers for the 9800. Do you have a large enough power supply for the 9800.

3. Euclid34

Euclid34 Thread Starter

I am going to be removing the 9800 and putting back the old one... which turns o ut to be a NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with TV Out....not vice versa.

4. Euclid34

Euclid34 Thread Starter

/bumpo

5. RedHelix

RedHelix

When changing video cards, uninstall the drivers for the original card first. Once they're out, power down the machine, swap the cards, make sure your BIOS is pointing the video output towards the right bus, and install the driver for the new card when you get to Windows. Reboot, update the driver to the most recent compatible one (nVidia's "universal" driver is not actually universal - older GeForce cards are not supported, though I don't know about yours,) and reboot. You're golden.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437224

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice