1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

video card turned off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kelcon, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kelcon

kelcon Thread Starter

Hi, while trying to change display settings on XP without thinking I turned off video card and restarted computer, now I have no display on moniter after the XP logo goes off. Does anyone no how to turn it back without a screen? I have tried narrator but gave up

2. pinntech

pinntech

Is this a desktop computer connected to a monitor or is it a laptop computer?

You can't actually "TURN OFF" your graphics adapter. You can set your resolution / scan frequencies too high for your monitor which will cause it to go “black” since it cannot adapt to the settings you have set.

If you are using a laptop, please provide the information on the laptop; make, model, and so forth.

You should try this first:

To change the refresh rate:

Restart the computer, and while it is restarting, press F8 until the Startup menu appears. Press 3, and then press ENTER to start the computer in Safe mode.

Right-click the desktop, click Properties, and then click Settings.

Click Advanced, click Adapter, and then click Adapter Default from the Refresh Rate list

Click OK, click OK again, and then click Yes to restart the computer in Normal mode.

If the above doesn’t work, then try the following:

To change the video adapter settings:

You can set the colors and screen area to your preferences under Display Properties.

Restart the computer, and while it is restarting, press F8 until the Startup menu appears. Press 3, and then press ENTER to start the computer in Safe mode.

Right-click the desktop, click Properties, and then click Settings.

Click Advanced, click Adapter, and then click Change.

Click Next, and then click Display a list of all the drivers in a specific location, so you can select the driver you want.

Click Next, click Show all hardware, and then click Standard display types under Manufacturers.

Click Standard Display Adapter (VGA), and then click Next.

Click Yes, click Next, click Finish, and then click Yes to restart the computer.

After the computer starts, right-click the desktop, click Properties, and then click Settings.

Click 256 colors, click Apply, and then restart the computer.

After the computer starts, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.

Click Device Manager, click View devices by type, and then click Display adapters

Click Standard Display Adapter (VGA), click Remove, and then click OK

Install all updated monitor drivers.

I hope this helps! thanks... Shane

3. Duckman69

Duckman69

if you know exactly what you did and how to undo it if you can get back into windows... i would say try swapping video cards with another in your home or from a friend... leave both cards in but plug into the new card not the card your getting issues with and edit the settings back to what they were when your in windows, if you got it right you should be able to swap the plug while the computers on and see if it worked... or you could try booting into safe mode & trying what pinntech said just reset the drive back to default or reinstall it... hope this helped some
    ~later

4. kelcon

kelcon Thread Starter

Computer is a desktop.
    Iwill tell you what I did step by step;Control Panel - Appearance and themes - Change screen resolution - Advanced - Adapter - Properties, Then under device usage changed to "Do not use this device (disable). and since that the screen has been black after the XP logo comes on. I know windows is running but I cant see anything to make any changes.
    The same thing happens even in safe mode.
    Thanks ,
    Jason.

5. Duckman69

Duckman69

i would go with giving what i suggested a try then im sure theres probally another way to do this, and maby some1 will post that later on but this is what i would do... get your hands on another video card from a pc in the house or from a friend pop it in & hook up to that card (leavin your other card in) then just change back the settings plug the monitor into your old card shut down the system & take out the card put back in other machiene... you could also see if theresa restore to factory default or im sure if you did it once you probally can do it twice... let me know how it turns out :D
    ~later

6. dez_666

dez_666

I haveth an idea. are you running windows XP Pro? cos if you are, i have another easy solution.

another way though -

This is one of the cheesiest ways to work without video, but hey, it might work. Im assuming you know that most functions in windows XP can be achieved using your keyboard. As long as you know what keys you have/are going to hit, this should work. get another PC (laptop prefferably) and using just your keyboard, browse to the spot where you can disable the video card. Tab moves between different objects on screen, like when you press tab on a website it selects different elements on the page; press enter to use the button.. =] Also for drop down menu's, like the Enable/Disable drop down menu, use up and down arrow keys. Also, a common shortcut is ALT+TAB for switching between windows, but you probably wont need it.

Another way you can fix your problem. Assuming you have an AGP video card, go find a PCI video card and set the PCI video card as default in your BIOS. reboot, and try using VGA mode/safe mode because you dont have drivers for it. then go back and re-enable the other card.

7. Duckman69

Duckman69

lol if he can blind fix it that way i gotta hear the post later on lol that would be amazing, i admit i did something simmilar once but it was alot easier then what hes gonna have to do... anyway hope to hear how this turned out for you

8. dez_666

dez_666

the way you can fix it if you have Windows XP pro is by using remote desktop.

heres a link to microsoft's getting started
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/remoteintro.mspx

You can find out the remote pc's name by hooking up another pc to the same router that its on (or use a crossover cable to direct connect them). but in order for this to work, at least one account on your screwed up PC has to have a password..and i think they have to have admin rights as well. :D but you should be able to enable through remote desktop.

i once ejected my ipod using remote desktop :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590426

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice