1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card Upgrade Advice Requested

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zelig504, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zelig504

zelig504 Thread Starter

I’m trying to make a video card upgrade decision and I may be at the complete PC upgrade point, but I wanted to get your advice.

My current machine is a P4 3.0 GHz w/hyper-threading, 1 gig DDR2 RAM, and ATI 9600 128mb 4xAGP Video card. One downside – it’s in a Gateway E-400 case so the motherboard etc. is proprietary.

The games I run on it are Half Life 2, Company of Heroes, FarCry and Civ IV. I was looking at upgrading to one of the following cards – Nvidia 6800XT, Nvidia 7600GS or an ATI 1650Pro.

The price range for these cards is about $120 total. Should I get a noticeable improvement or should I save the money and put it towards a new machine down the road. These games all run pretty well although the graphics are probably reduced to medium settings in most cases.

Thanks for the advice.

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

3. zelig504

zelig504 Thread Starter

It's a Gateway E-4100.

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

Out of this whole list of E-4100's:
    http://support.gateway.com/support/supinfo/index.asp?pg=2&file=E4100.html

The best power supply I could find was a 250 watt, which is right on the line for a bigger video card.

You can still find pretty good 128MB or 256MB AGP cards, and it would be advisable to look at upgrading your power supply as well. This wouldn't be too big of an investment.

The 7600GS is kinda the sweet spot right now for price/performance for systems at this age. I think you'd be happy with it's performance. However I don't think any of the cards you mentioned are bad choices.

As far as power supplies go, you can get a Sparklepower 350W for about $40, and it would be well worth the investment.

Incidental note: My stepson has a P4 1.6Ghz Northwood, 1 GB of DDR 266, and a Radeon 9550 card. (I built this machine out of old and new parts). Even with an OLD hard drive that sounds like a paper shredder, it does very well with Warcraft. The video is excellent, and he's had no lag on it at all.

5. zelig504

zelig504 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. Should I run into a problem upgrading the power suplly since it's from Gateway? It is 250 watt. Should I buy an upgrade from Gateway or do you think I can put in an aftermarket unit?

Thanks again.

6. telegramsam

telegramsam

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539720

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice