1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Euclid34, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Euclid34

Euclid34 Thread Starter

I have an old computer that I am trying to squeeze some life out of... I primarily play WoW on this computer.

I am currently running GeForce4 Ti 4200 on it.

I had ordered this card a few years ago, it ran fine and crapped out on me.

Anyways, I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of another card that you think will improve performance/life of the computer.

Thanks in advance! :)

2. ibetyouluvthis

ibetyouluvthis

To begin with, lets us know what kind of computer you have. Also, let us know the specifications e.i.: operating system, ram, processor....If you have the brand and model number for the pc that would be awesome too!

3. Euclid34

Euclid34 Thread Starter

Ok, I am at work right now, so I will try to give as much info as possible off the top of my head.

Dell Dimension 4500 (I think thats right mdel number)
    Win XP
    Pentium 4 2.4 GHz
    2GB RAM

4. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Well, according to the Dell Dimension 4500 specs here:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4500/specs.htm#1101572

You have a 4x AGP slot for a video card. That will probably limit your choices to some of the older cards.

Are you sure it's a 4500? The specs say the max for system ram is 1gb.

Are you in the USA? (for shopping purposes)
    Also, what's the budget?

5. Euclid34

Euclid34 Thread Starter

Yes, it is a 4500, but the RAM capacity is wrong... there are 2 slots in my computer and i have ran 2 1gb sticks... im currently running 1.5 gb but have 2 new 1 gb sticks on the way...

I am in the USA and there really isnt a budget, but I would like to keep the cost as low as possible... so I guess I am saying I would be willing to spend a few more dollars if its worth it. But I am planning on getting a new system in the next year or so and dont want to pump TOO much cash into this oldie :)

6. Euclid34

Euclid34 Thread Starter

7. Jones

Jones

8. Euclid34

Euclid34 Thread Starter

Seems like a good card, got lots of positive reviews... I had a Sapphire Radeon previously and it ran very hot and eventually burned out...

As for the cost factor, its right up my alley :)

9. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

10. Euclid34

Euclid34 Thread Starter

I have no allegiance to either Radeon or nVIDIA...

I am going to go up to my local Micro Center after work tonight and see if I can find any comperable deals up there and if not probably order one of the X1650's tomorrow off Newegg. There is no reason, NOT to get the PRO is there?

I do have to admit, that with my previous experience with Sapphires, Radeon 9800 Pro (I think), I am concerned about cooling issues.

Any suggestions? Should I get another case fan or one to directly cool the video card? I dont know how much room I have in there, Ill have to inspect further

11. maxibhoy

maxibhoy

I don't see a lot of cooling issues with ATI Radeon cards but there's a third party hsf out there for that card which is supposed to be slightly better even being passive. There's also a non passive version out their. http://www.xpcgear.com/acceleros2.html

12. Euclid34

Euclid34 Thread Starter

Good info on the cooler... reasonable price too!

Thanks for all the input you guys, I will let you know what I decided to do when I have things in order!

:cool:

13. Euclid34

Euclid34 Thread Starter

So I went to MicroCenter tonight to look at their cards and didnt find one that was as good as the one recommended here... so I think I am going to order one frmo NewEgg.

Can anyone give me any reason why I wouldnt order the cheaper, faster PRO version of the Radeon X1650PRO? Heres the links again, just in case

Regular and PRO

THANKS!!!

14. Euclid34

Euclid34 Thread Starter

Bump up to the top for the new day :cool:

15. Jones

Jones

No reason at all why you should not get the Pro version. It's not that unusual to occasionally find better cards for less money than their weaker cousins. Sometimes volume of sales dictate the lower price on certain products.

Example:

8800 GS - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150275

8600 GTS - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150228

8800GS is a far better card, for $10 cheaper. Go figure. :rolleyes:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699477

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice