1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Billym0, Aug 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Billym0

Billym0 Thread Starter

Compaq Presario 7000 computer.
    Nvidia GeForce2mx video card.

My video card is a 64MB, DDR Ram, TV-Out, PCI type.
    Can I upgrade this to a 132MB or 256MB card?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the product number(P/N) on the sticker so we can determine the exact model number your Compaq Presario 7000 is?

I'm assuming that computer is a desktop?

-------------------------------------------------------

3. Billym0

Billym0 Thread Starter

Thanks for replying.
    The model number on the inside of the front bottom cover is 7RPM11. When I tried to verify this with HP auto detect the number 7RPK11 came back.
    The serial number is S/N 9113FXRZK130. This number is on the inside of the front bottom cover and on a sticker in the back.
    Yes, the computer is a desktop.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site for the Compaq Presario 7RPK11 desktop.

Unfortunately, that model is so old that no photo nor hardware specifications are provided.

I did a GOOGLE search and didn't have any luck finding the hardware specifications and the motherboard description for it.

The problem that you're going to have with upgrading to a 128 - 256 MB video card is that the power supply in that desktop isn't going to be able to handle it.

Once the video card is installed, the computer won't start up at all or the computer will start up but the monitor will remain blank.

I don't know what your reason is for wanting to upgrade to a 128 - 256 MB video card, but I think you're wasting your time.

-------------------------------------------------------

5. Billym0

Billym0 Thread Starter

I wasn't sure if an upgrade was possible. I'm going to replace the old card with the same NVidia GeForce2mx

card. The original monitor was a CRT that failed completely. I replaced it with another CRT. After a few years lines

started forming through out the screen. I found an old little CRT and tried that. I still got the same lines. I finally bought a new

flat screen and still have the same lines.

Does this sound like a problem with the video card?

Thanks.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You've used at least 3 different monitors and still have lines appearing in the display, so it's pretty obvious that it's not a monitor problem.

Replacing the PCI video card is the next thing that I would do.

------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1013741

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice