1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video card upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stealth3, Jun 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stealth3

Stealth3 Thread Starter

Hi, I was wondering, when you upgrade your video card, how do you know if its compatible with your video card and motherboard? I am thinking of upgrading to a radeon 9800 pro, but im not sure if its compatible with Hp pavilion 764n (P4 2.66GHZ, 512 DDR).

Thank you

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

If you have an agp slot, yes. And I think you would.

3. Stealth3

Stealth3 Thread Starter

Cant I take my old card out and replace it with the new one, or it needs 2 agp slots?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Most HP computers have onboard video. Check your manual to see if you have a 4X or 8X agp slot; many HPs do. If you have onboard video, you will need to disable it, then install your card and driver.

5. Stealth3

Stealth3 Thread Starter

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The new video card replaces the old video card unless you want a Dual video card setup; ie. for running multiple displays. Your HP seems to have an Nvidia Geforce MX440 with 128MB which is an 4/8x AGP card. You will need to uninstall the drivers in Windows prior to removing the old card and installing any new card.

The biggest problem you may encounter is that the Radeon 9800 PRO, and all high end cards, require more power and create more heat. Its uncertain if the HP powersupply will be able to supply the power needed for the card, and if it will be able to cope with the extra heat. Cooling can be possibly enhanced by adding additional case fans.

7. Stealth3

Stealth3 Thread Starter

I received an email from HP telling me that the card is compatible. Doesnt that mean that it has enough power and its able to cool the card down?
    I should email them about the power and cooling just in case.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Big box mgf's like hp or dell build a system with JUST enough in the way of ps. There is generally little reserve for upgrades. If you run into problems [especially boot problems] with the new card, one of the first places to look is the ps.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    ATI recommends a 350 Watt powersupply for this series of cards, your HP probably has a 200Watt powersupply. While it might work, it will strain the powersupply or cause system instablity.

10. Stealth3

Stealth3 Thread Starter

11. Stealth3

Stealth3 Thread Starter

I have 2 fans currently on the computer. It came with 2 fans, and im emailing hp to find out about the power supply

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

ps= power supply. Sometimes I am too lazy to write out the entire word. Like mgf for manufacturer.

13. Stealth3

Stealth3 Thread Starter

I found a website to buy cheap powersupplies. What kind do you guys recommend? The people at HP recommended a 200W. Is that enough, or should I get a more powerful ps? Heres the web site http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/
    Once again, thanks guys.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A replacement ps may or may not fit in the hp case. Measure your existing ps and go to the local compusa or other store and see if their Antec or other units are the same size. With ps [as with most things] you get what you pay for. I use Enlight, Antec, Enermax or Coolmax ps in my builds. Best bang for the buck is Enlight. Last time I checked newegg, they were $38 for a 360W ps.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW I checked that site and they do not even give the name of the mgf. I would be very careful with cheap ps. After seeing a deer explode while troubleshooting a system, I am very down on cheap units.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/243540

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice