1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sims2kidsmom, Dec 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sims2kidsmom

sims2kidsmom Thread Starter

I need to upgrade the video card for my daughter's computer and not sure what to get.
    Here's what her computer is:
    Compaq Presario 5240(?)
    AMD XP 1700
    1.47 GHZ
    480MB Ram
    The current video card that came with the computer is a
    S3 Graphics ProSavage KM133
    The system runs fine, but she is unable to play Sims2 because of a graphics issue it states.
    Any thoughts to an economical upgrade I can install and make the program work, and also any basic instruction as to how to install it. I would appreciate any help with this!!

2. speedshutter

speedshutter

try one of the mid-ranger cards geforce 6600 or ati x700
    they go for like $200 on newegg i think

just open up your case, how you would do that depends on your case
    locate your video card/agp slot (the card you plug your monitor to), take it out and put the new one in
    close it up, install drivers

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The S3 graphics are integrated into the motherboard. They cannot be removed only disabled. You would have to disable theonboard video in the BIOS setup, on the motherboard with a jumper, it might disable automaticallly, or you may not be able to disable it at all. In all the case you would want to uninstall the video driver in Windows to avoid driver conflicts.

As for as I know the Radeon X700 is only available in PCI-Express, not AGP or PCI, and the 6600GT is not available in PCI form.

You need to find out exactly what model of Compaq or motherboard you have to find out what type of expansion slots it has. The 5240 on Compaq's website is not an AMD XP1700+ nor does it have S3 graphics. Look for another model number; possibly on the side. Or have you upgraded the computer before?

Everest may help with motherboard ID: http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/313643

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice